UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
A bonus of the new forum layout - found this thread. How lovely to see your rescues and how wonderful and happy they look. I got 3 last year too - ex free range (they look just like yours lol).

I was told that free range just means that they have day time access to and area outside from a lift up panel along one side of the barn.

Mine came from a barn of 3000 who I don’t think had ever been outside. They could not tell the difference between night and day, had no fear at all and were in a sorry state. It’s been lovely to see them blossom and gosh - how many eggs we get. I was told they were slowing down but I reckon they each lay 6/7 days a week.

I couldn’t believe how friendly and docile they were from day one having had little human contact. And what characters they were.

I’d always had posh hens prior to the rescues (Buff Orpington’s) but they have really opened my eyes to how wonderful these poor lab bred rescues are.

Tip for hot weather - fridge watermelon and grapes as they have good water content.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts