UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well done for rescuing these girls, they look very happy in their new home :)

How many hens do you have now?
Yes they have settled in very well, they insist on sleeping in the nest box wich looks abit of a squeeze.
It's a little flock of 7 now. Candy is definitely the leader, the newbies show no sign of wanting to take her place as ruler of the roost.

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
Yes they have settled in very well, they insist on sleeping in the nest box wich looks abit of a squeeze.
It's a little flock of 7 now. Candy is definitely the leader, the newbies show no sign of wanting to take her place as ruler of the roost.
How about another photo of your poser:)

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
It really was fascinating watching mine establish a hierarchy. It took my initial hens a couple of weeks & they all took turns tryin for top hen. In the end it was quiet Betty who came in & took charge. Like she had sat back & watched , planned a strategy then came in with such force & took the other girls by shock :D

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
Sounds like your intros went well :) When I introduced my newest girl Lily to Dot and Peach, it took forever before my rather psychotic girl Dot stopped trying to kill her! Now they're best buddies - well, unless Lily nabs a treat that Dot had her eye on...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ooh, that's a good idea. How long does it take them to destroy it? :):Chicken
I've put some under chicken wire so they can't scratch the roots up and some out of reach in a small run which I will uncover periodically so they don't totally destroy it. The uncovered bits will be destroyed in afew days I reckon.

What lovely enrichment for them :) I've heard they quite like food hanging or hidden in items like dog kongs- could be an idea :) They look adorable.
Their favourite thing to do is finding mealworms and corn in straw. They also like a lettuce on a string. They used to have a treat ball but it disappeared.

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
I've put some under chicken wire so they can't scratch the roots up and some out of reach in a small run which I will uncover periodically so they don't totally destroy it. The uncovered bits will be destroyed in afew days I reckon.

Their favourite thing to do is finding mealworms and corn in straw. They also like a lettuce on a string. They used to have a treat ball but it disappeared.
Mine love mealworms in straw too, I'm always amazed how quickly they snaffle them all out! I've tried cabbage on a string (which they weren't too fussed about) but not lettuce as I read somewhere that too much can give them the runs?
The other thing mine love is a big wooden planter filled with a mixture of sand and compost :) They use it for digging, perching and dust bathing.
Looking forward to Monday when the bird flu restrictions ease and I can let them out for a peck around the rest of the garden again!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I have my neighbour's chickens visit my front garden every day now that they have worked out that there is bird seed dropped from the table. I love watching them doing their little scratching moon walk in the grass :)
The cockerel calls the girls over of he finds anything interesting!

ETA is it normal that a cockerels feet feathers drop off?

·
Premium Member
29,562 Posts
I have my neighbour's chickens visit my front garden every day now that they have worked out that there is bird seed dropped from the table. I love watching them doing their little scratching moon walk in the grass :)

Aren't they still supposed to be confined so no contact with wild birds because of avian flu?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

I've never thought of it as a moon walk that's so funny.
My oldest girls are moulting at the moment so it could be that your neighbours Cockerell is moulting for the summer.

Bobbete had a grand adventure this afternoon and travelled into next door's garden, she was having a wonderful time on their perfectly manicured lawn, pecking away to her hearts content.
I ruined her fun and plopped her back with her sisters. I think she's abit passed off.
Bird Eye Plant Phasianidae Chicken

41 - 60 of 76 Posts