UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The fences sound like a good plan then. Are they easy to care for?
Yes, very. All I have to do is top their food and water up, throw some fresh veg around, clean out the coop and run once a week and shut the coop door at night and open it in the morning.

They need worming every 6 months but that's just their normal food with something added to it.

I think that's it.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Glad they've got a good home with you now :)

We went camping on a site that had rescue ex battery chickens roaming and they were a sorry sight, little featherless scrawny chickens wandering around and they were completely fearless! we had Taz our terrier and they wouldn't leave him alone, when he was eating they were pecking in his dish and climbing on top of him when he was sleeping, we had to try to chicken proof our tent as they were determined to join us in there too. Comical animals if I had the land i'd have a few myself.

What are your girls characters like? do you have a favourite?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Glad they've got a good home with you now :)

We went camping on a site that had rescue ex battery chickens roaming and they were a sorry sight, little featherless scrawny chickens wandering around and they were completely fearless! we had Taz our terrier and they wouldn't leave him alone, when he was eating they were pecking in his dish and climbing on top of him when he was sleeping, we had to try to chicken proof our tent as they were determined to join us in there too. Comical animals if I had the land i'd have a few myself.

What are your girls characters like? do you have a favourite?
My favourite is Precious she's a lap hen, loves a nice warm lap and a stroke.
Mildred loves to be up high and loves sitting in the tree in their run.
Candy is a loudmouth and is always getting into places she shouldn't like my neighbours garden.

I can't wait to see the new hens characters show themselves, one of them is definitely a poser. This is Bobette le Ponge
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Comb Beak

·
Premium Member
33,934 Posts
They shouldn't smell if their area is regularly cleaned/poo picked.
Apparently the smell in the new girls barn was very overpowering.
I know, but our neighbour although he rescued them he only what them for there eggs, he didn't many but he sold them.

From what I can remember they had a small shed for night and a run for about 6ft by 12ft just the other side of our hedge about 8ft from out back window.

Reactions: Beth78

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
Well done for rescuing these girls, they look very happy in their new home :)

How many hens do you have now?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts