UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I bought a young hamster from a hamster breeder a week ago. He doesn't seem to have adopted a corner of the cage for peeing in. I think he is peeing in his house as it seems a bit damp. I have tried putting a bit of damp bedding in a corner of the cage to encourage him to go there, but I don't think it has worked. I had some shavings from his cage at his old home, so he had his own smell with him.

He is also a bit nervous going out of his house in his cage and doesn't seem to play as much as I would expect.

A have a few questions if anyone can help.

a. Is this peeing in his house normal for a 6 week old hamster and will he grow out of it?

b. Should I be cleaning the house every day or two instead of every week (keeping a small amount of old bedding in there of course) because he is peeing in it. I was concerned this may upset him.

c. I have a small cage which I used to bring him in. Might he be happier in that for a while? I had my previous hamster in his current cage and he died of old age recently. The cage was washed thoroughly and aired out a few days before the new hamster was put in it. But I am wondering if there could be traces of smell of the old hamster left and if that could affect him and could discourage him from leaving his house. I don't want to move him unnecessarily into another cage as it could distress him.

I am able to get him out of his cage and handle him in the evenings, and he seems to enjoy it though understandably he is a little bit nervous at times still.

I have bought a young hamster from the same person before and he peed in the corner away from his house and started playing a lot more immediately (but he may have been a week or two older when I bought him).

Thanks,

·
Registered
134 Posts
By the sounds of it your hamster is just very scared.

I would leave the hamster alone in a quiet part of the house where he/she will not be disturbed, I think the reason for peeing in the house is just the hamster is too scared to leave the house.
I would not change cages that would just cause more stress.
I wouldn't handle the hamster right now, just ler it get use to it's house then go from there.
Only clean out the cage once a week, hamster don't actually being cleaned out as it gets rid of there smell in the cage.

You seem to have such good intentions for your new pet, its really nice to see :D

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I think if he's peeinh in his house then obviously keep changing it and put the wee bedding in a specific corner of the cage.

Also get handling him now because if you leave it any longer he could start to bite so you need to be taming him up straight away! Leaving him is just silly I mean how's he going to get tame???

Do you mind me asking what cage he's in and what size his wheel is?

Amy :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. He is in a Hagen Exercis Dome. Plus there are extra hammocks so lots of space, but he is not using the space much. He is more scared going up to the higher floors and to the front of the cage.

The wheel is a wodent wheel. He liked it the first time he used it. But I haven't seen him use it for a couple of days, but he probably has done when I have gone to bed.

Regards handling him, he is letting me handle him, so my gut feel is that its best to continue doing that. He tries to nibble my clothes and when I put him on the sofa sometimes he starts washing, so he can't be that uncomfortable being handled.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Is the wodent wheel 8 inches or over?
With syrians they really need a floor space of 80cm x 50cm.

It sounds like he's a friendly chap though.
And if he's washing while out it shows he's relaxed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, the wodent wheel is at least 8 inches. And regarding floor space, total floor space is around what you mentioned. I know its more than the RSPCA guidelines.

Regarding handling, the people I got him off handled him nearly every day and they said I could start handling him straight away. I think its hamsters from pet shops that you need to not touch for a couple of days.

How often do you suggest we clean his house out if he is peeing in it?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Id be cleaning the little house everyday because it may discourage him from keep weeing in it. and put the wee bedding in a corner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Id be cleaning the little house everyday because it may discourage him from keep weeing in it. and put the wee bedding in a corner.
Thanks. I was wondering if regular cleaning would discourage him.

Do the hamster potty's help to train them to pee out the house too - more than just moving the wee bedding into the corner?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I used to have a corner litter tray for my Syrian and she used to use it. Then I added a sand bath (small non tip bowl with chinchilla sand in) as hamsters like to bath in it plus it keeps there coat in good nick. But she's now taken to using that as her wee potty and she also baths in it :rolleyes: but I don't have to clean her out for a month! I just change her sand every 4 days and check her bedding area for stored food as she gets fed fresh foods daily as well as her mix.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
It doesn't matter I'd get him one tomorrow if he were mine.
He may use the sand bath as a toilet like mine which I don't mind as it's so easy to clean out and keeps it all in one place!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.