New guarding behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JoanneF, Feb 9, 2018.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

So tonight Timber (aged 7 and 3/4) has decided to guard my fleecy glove. That's fine, he can have it - he isn't trying to eat it or anything so I'm not concerned. Just a couple of times when I have approached to tidy it away by lifting it from his bed he has firmly moved it away from me. I think he is tired, he had a big walk today so I am putting it down to that. Anyone else experienced resource guarding habits starting this late?

Edited; I have quietly removed it now (an hour after my original post) while he has been out so it doesn't become an issue. He hasn't noticed.

#1 JoanneF, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

It sounds like he was guarding it, but in the “this is precious to me right now so I’m going to try and keep it with me” rather than “come near me and I’m going to defend it” kind of way...if that makes sense? Maybe it smelt of you, maybe it felt nice to snuggle against so he just wanted to hold onto it for a while.

Either way, you did the right thing of waiting for him to abandon it and then tidying it away without fuss. I tend to chuck a treat and say “away” and then pick whatever it is up, maybe replace it with a toy or a chew. But then I have a douche :rolleyes:

JoanneF, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I agree.

The only time Jack showed any guarding behaviour was the first time he had a bone, shortly after getting him.

He'd taken it up to the landing to gnaw and DS came out of his room to use the bathroom. Jack stood over bone and grumbled - DS just ignored him and went into bathroom for a few minutes, came out and returned to his room paying no attention to Jack whatsoever who had laid down again and gone back to gnawing his bone.

Jack has never showed any similar behaviour again.

In that instant Jack learned that nobody was interested in his bone - no drama :)

Kimmikins and JoanneF like this.
  4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I bought Spen a Kong ball yesterday, just a squeaky tennis ball. He promptly took it into his crate and made it clear he didn't want me to have it. Not so much as a grumble, just very obvious avoidance behaviour. I told him "fine, be like that!" lol and left him to it. Today I'm welcome to play with his ball. Not quite sure why he felt possessive over it yesterday but it was a non issue as he was in his crate and Jack in bed so I just ignored it. I'm thinking perhaps novelty as today it's being treated no differently to any other toy.

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Isla's not possessive over anything other then food and she is like Spencer, no grumbles just avoids you and makes it obvious that it is hers so there. Rather then cause a problem by trying to take the end of a chew from her I've discovered I've only got to say "do you want a fish cube?" and she spits out whatever she's eating and runs to the fish cube cupboard.

JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Yeah, that works here, Spen happily gives up items in exchange for treats. Just didn't seem necessary to take his ball away last night so didn't bother. Would have been another story with Jack around as not worth the risk.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Thanks all. Today he has been quite normal. It was just a little odd, he wasn't grumbly but he was pretty clear he wanted to keep It. And that's quite out of character for him. But he is chilled out today (as normal!)

Lurcherlad and Kimmikins like this.