Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New GSD PUPPY - 11 WEEKS - HELP!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sambo_01, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:45 AM.

1. Sambo_01

Sambo_01 PetForums Newbie

HI ALL

I HAVE AN 11 WEEK OLD GSD THAT I JUST COLLECTED.

On his 1st vaccination card it says he only weights 3.5kg - this seems very light??

I am feeding him EDEN 80/20 ORIGINAL CUISINE DOG FOOD. this states dogs up to 5kg only need up to 65g of the dry food per day... This seems very very low?

Can anyone offer any advice so how many grams I should be feeding him?

Thank you

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't know the food and don't know the average weight of a GSD but are you sure that doesn't mean 65 g for a dog weighing 5 kilos as an adult?

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Sambo_01 Does it mean 65g per kilo of bodyweight (ie 65 x 3.5) daily? Can you post a pic of the (daily) feeding instructions? Is it a complete food?

4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

5. Sambo_01

Sambo_01 PetForums Newbie

Yes it is a complete pet food - attached puppy feeding guide I found

Attached Files:

6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That seems like a tiny amount. Does he seem still hungry after what you are giving him, and is this what the breeder was feeding him?

7. edinoodle

edinoodle PetForums Member

I know this isn't what you asked but I spoke to Eden about feeding my puppy it and they advised not to feed it puppies under 14 or 16 weeks due to the high calcium levels in. They were very helpful and have a live chat option so I'm sure you could ask them about the feeding recommendations? I agree that 3.5kg sounds light for a GSD pup, my standard poodle pup was 6.5kg at 9 weeks

Calvine likes this.
  8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Was this already done when you bought him - has the vet seen him while he was with you and weighed him, and if so, did he think the weight was ok for a pup of his age?

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

So your pup is 11wks old & weighs on 3.5kgs??? No way is that right for a GSD. My youngest GSD was the smallest in the litter when I collected him at 8wks old & he weighed 7.5kgs (the others were more like 9kgs+) but he developed well & gained weight appropriately. At 11wks old your dog should be around 12kgs

Take him to the vets & get him weighed again. Are you sure he is a GSD?

http://www.german-shepherd-lore.com/german-shepherd-growth-chart.html

Calvine likes this.
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That's why I asked about the vax and weight and if they were already done at some point before OP bought him - meaning he may well be three weeks older (and three weeks heavier) now; unless, of course OP has weighed him recently and that is his present weight. Or is the 3.5kg on the vax certificate that came with him and relates to a weight when he was some weeks younger? OP did not comment on the question posted.

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, depends when he was vaccinated but as it's usually 8-10wks old then that would still be far too light for a GSD puppy

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Maybe we'll find out later?

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, my collie pup was 3.5 kg at 9 weeks, and she was the smallest of her litter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice