Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New girl puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kacimai, Jun 3, 2010.

1. kacimai

kacimai PetForums Newbie

Please could someone give me advice I have two lovely Jack Russels, a male who is two years old and a female who is sixteen weeks old. I need to know when she first comes into season from when and how long I should seperate them from each other, I would like to breed a litter in the future but not untill she is on her third season and then only through a vets advice.

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

A bitch doesn't come into season until they are at least 6 months old, but it could be as late as a year old.

Do you want to breed the male and the female? Have you thought about health testing? There are thousands of jack russells around and needing homes. Do you work yours?

3. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I have put in a link here for you to read ok
    Some dogs come into season around 5 months, but ususally it is around 6 months and anything up to one year.
    This link will tell you a bit more about it all. It will also tell you more information if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see more to click onto,

Reproduction, The Heat Cycle, Signs of Heat

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I keep them separate for a month. The best thing to do to be honest is to have your boy have the snip and use another stud. Living with entire males and females is a nightmare at season times. Be prepared for howling and crying constantly, destructive behaviour, scent marking, refusing to eat, all from both dogs. There should always be 2 doors between them and one should be locked.... Its a bloomin nightmare. Either that or send the boy away for a month to kennels or family.

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

One of my girls has just had her first season at 10 months, the other is still showing no signs at 11 months - their mum had her first at 6 months. It really can vary, so you will need to know the signs and be very vigilant until you know she has had her season. She could also have a silent seaon and could still become pregnant.

It will be difficult to keep them apart so be prepared.

I would also seek the advice of people other than your vet about breeding- they know very little about breeding. A vet will carry out health checks but you need to know which ones you need to have done. Ask breeders of your breed what tests need to be done.

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I've known bitches come into season at 5 months, and I've known them have their first season at 22 months, I appreciate that this is a smaller breed and will probably be earlier, but the scope of timing is still there.

I've been very lucky with my male in that he's not really that bothered about the girlies (I have more problems with one of my girls :eek:) - and of course that is highly likely to change if / when he is used at stud.

Despite that, I would only use him on my own bitches if I felt he had what I needed to improve them, so I still use outside studs.

Unless you have bought the bitch in specifically because the pedigrees complement each other and it is part of a longer term plan (as someone I know recently did and produced a superb show quality litter - they waited a very long time and went through a lot of whining and whinging to get there).

If you haven't done this, then I would certainly follow Tanya's advice, neuter him and go for an outside stud that best matches the qualities you want to improve on your bitch.

7. kacimai

kacimai PetForums Newbie

cant work out how to use computer keep sending messages to myself!

#7 kacimai, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I still do that now,lol.......If you get a message and want to reply then go just under the message box and you will see.....view conversation with ??? click onto that and it will bring you to their page, :thumbup:

9. kacimai

kacimai PetForums Newbie

Looks like I did it again

#9 kacimai, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice