Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Forest

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FeelTheBern, Apr 9, 2017.

1. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

Is there anything interesting to do in the New Forest area? I might be visiting later in the year.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You can look at the ponies.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What do you class as interesting?

4. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

It depends what you like doing. There's lots of beautiful places to walk and cycle, lots of lovely pubs and tea rooms. There's Beaulieu if you like cars and stately homes and great restaurants. Lyndhurst has some nice marinas and coast-line. I think there may be companies that offer RIB tours of the coast, but I'm not 100% sure.

rona likes this.
  5. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Think Kimmikins means Lymington - Lyndhurst is inland :)

I lived there for 10 years and agree with all the above, and also suggest the following:
    a New Forest bus tour goes from Lymington and covers all the good local places;
    go to Rosie's Tea Rooms in Brockenhurst - really good food, served by the eccentric and hilarious owner;
    Stewart's Garden Centre in Christchurch is a must - best cake in the world! Visit the Priory too, and 'Cheese and Alfie's' cafe (near the Priory) for lunch;
    Milford on Sea is very pretty;
    Fordingbridge is a lovely inland town;
    in Lymington itself, 'Ciao Belli' is a really good cafe, on Gosport Street at the bottom of the high street;
    also in Lymington, best for coffee is the Caffe Nero;
    Lymington again, brilliant Indian food at 'Rivaaz' (NOT the New Milton one - different owner);
    good riding school for some pony trekking is Burley Manor Riding Stables, in Burley;
    New Milton is good for cheap general shopping.

6. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

DOH! Yes, you're absolutely right...I thought New Forest beginning with L and came up with Lyndhurst :Facepalm

Blaise in Surrey likes this.
  7. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

You could try rounding up a few of them there ponies.:)

kimthecat and FeelTheBern like this.
  8. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

One of the best places in the country!

9. planete

planete PetForums Senior

Miles of wild countryside for long walks in the Forest. Cycle hire and pony riding. Abundant wildlife to watch (you can easily see deer without walking miles if you go to the Deer Sanctuary). The Reptiliary has a collection of local snakes and lizards plus a nest webcam if you are interested. Lyndhurst New Forest Museum is a must, lots of great cafes in the village too and beautiful walks on the doorstep. You should have a great time, enjoy yourself.

10. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

11. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Beautiful place with lots to do and see and there is even Peppa Pig World just on the edge of it if that sort of thing floats ya boat :D

12. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

I´d take a nap under the trees

13. rona

Oddly, there aren't that many trees .............

I actually find the new forest a bit boring, it all looks more or less the same. You can accidentally find a little gem but that's only if you are lucky

14. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Ohhh! Nooo! Lots of trees around Brockenhurst - which also has riding and cycling as well as pretty shops and tea rooms.
    Beaulieu Motor Museum and also Beaulieu Palace House are both worth a look. Peppa Pig world is part of the larger Paultons Park which has a few bigger rides (nothing huge like Thorpe Park etc) and also lots of birds. There's the New Forest Wildlife Park with all kinds of native animals, next to that is Longdown Farm - better for younger visitors.
    Lymington is a lovely little town, you can get boat trips out from the quay or catch the ferry over to the Isle of Wight.

HarlequinCat and rona like this.
  15. rona

:Yawn :Yawn :Yawn

:Vomit :Vomit :Vomit

Captive wild animals is a no no and that farm is like a pet shop selling animals.........oh look and you can buy online :mad:
    https://www.longdownfarmsales.co.uk/product/chickens/

That's ok but not really the forest is it ;)

16. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Going for a walk round Eyeworth Pond is worth a look too and then you can if they still do them go the the very very quaint pub up the hill and have a hearty ploughman's lunch :D

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

That's ok but not really the forest is it ;)
    Actually it is. Lymington is in the New Forest National Park ;) Stopping dissing my home :p
    Beaulieu is great if you like cars or old houses.
    Paulton's Park is great for kids.
    I must admit I haven't been to Longdown or the Wildlife Park since my kids were small and both places have probably changed quite a bit :(

18. rona

But it's out on the water :p

lymorelynn likes this.
  19. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I love the variety of the New Forest, lots of lovely little villages like Burley with funny little shops, busier towns if you want them like Lyndhurst, wide open greens/plains or forests - Fritham is one of our favourite walks as is Whitefield Moor and Rhinefield.

lymorelynn likes this.
  20. planete

planete PetForums Senior

Longdown Farm and the New Forest Wildlife Park are two separate enterprises. The first one is more for small children and has farm animals, it is a working/show farm, and yes, they sell the surplus animals at the end of the season, otherwise they would be overcrowded very quickly. The second one has wolves, bisons, giant otters, various large owls and smaller wild animals. They are part of a breeding/reintroduction programme.

I rode my horses all over the Forest when I was younger I and now walk my dogs there very day and I still find new sights to wonder at.

MontyMaude and lymorelynn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice