Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Food: Size Specific Food?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Animal Freak, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Animal Freak

Animal Freak PetForums Member

Hello everyone. I'm looking to switch my dogs to a new food, but I've seen a lot of foods aimed towards small or large breeds. I never worried about it before, but now I have two dogs of vastly different sizes and I'm not sure if I should be feeding them the same thing. Do you think it's best to have them on food specific for their size? Or does it matter? I'd rather limit the different kinds of food I have to get considering the cats already get four different kinds, but I want to do what's best for them.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I go by age and needs more than size. Unless you're talking giant breed puppy still growing, the nutritional requirements are essentially the same.

Penny is young and she gets a basic adult dog food.
    Bates is older and much more sedentary and gets a senior dog food for less active dogs.
    Though right now I've run out of Penny's food so she's getting the senior food until I make it to the store LOL.

3. Animal Freak

Animal Freak PetForums Member

Alright, thank you. I didn't think there was much of a difference in their nutritional requirements (other than amount), but wasn't sure. It's definitely easier for me to keep them on the same thing. Osiris is struggling to put weight on, so I'm thinking he needs something with more calories than his current food.

I've had Stella on puppy food because I ran out of hers before.

4. El Cid

El Cid PetForums Senior

I recently bought some kibble online and was surprised that it was much smaller than what I normally buy. Probably my fault, it will be ok.
    I personally think people and dogs just need good food.
    A body-builder may want food containing more protein, but once we are out of the baby stage, child/adult food will be just the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice