Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new food = hunger strike?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sami87, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sami87

sami87 PetForums Member

Lily is known for being a bit of a madam, and I'm 90% sure she's just being difficult for the sake of it, but I could just use a bit of advice just incase!

I'm changing Lily from applaws wet (I didn't know it wasn't a complete food :cursing: ) to bozita, grau and animonda.

Here's what I've been doing:

The first night I tried bozita mixed with her usual biscuit, before I went to bed she would sniff and pat it, but didn't really eat any. I left it out all night on the off chance she'd change her mind, and it worked! She ate 90% of it.

So yesterday morning I put of a little bit more of the bozita and biscuit mix, and her usual biscuit in a separate bowl. Then in the evening I tried her on a mixture of grau and applaws (they were both fishy so I figured it'd work) and she didn't touch ANYTHING.

I'm not sure if she's just trying to get me to give her the old food or if she genuinely doesn't like it. The grau looked exactly like the food she had as a kitten - P@H purely pate they don't seem to sell anymore...

She's never been fussy like this before and it's taken me by surprise. She steals my food all the time, or tries to! I will try hand feeding her to see if that helps but other than that and keeping to mixing her foods I'm not sure what else to do!

Little moo.

2. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

Sounds familiar.

Mine adore Applaws, so they used to have the wet and dry. Then I tried to go onto the good quality complete foods, Grau, Almo, Herrmanns etcetc. Not so much success!! They were eating it but not with relish, so I would add half Applaws in as well. This went down better.
    Recently we have moved onto RAW, very successfully, using Natural instinct. I have mixed Applaws wet in with the Raw as well as a Lick-e-lix, obviously a lot more Raw in the ratio and they love it, they eat the food ravenously.

I think my cats like the texture of Applaws whereas they did not like the mushy feel to some of the completes and they like the RAW mince more open texture with the bone in as well.

They can be stubborn can't they ........

3. PrettyKittyMylo

PrettyKittyMylo PetForums Member

mylo use to be on bozita and lived it then about a month ago became very fussy and point blank refused to eat it. I now have him on feline fayre 60% fish and he loves his meal times now but makes me wounder for how long?
    x

Posted from Petforums.co.uk App for Android

4. sami87

sami87 PetForums Member

I'm winning :D

She took to animonda straight away, and she's picking at the other foods when I either hand feed or just leave it out and pretend I'm not watching her every move! Of course I'm making a huuuuuuge fuss of her when she eats some too!

Sorry, Lily! You can't beat me that easily!! :p

5. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

Try him on a different food each meal. The FF (which I use sometimes) isn`t a complete food, so vary it. I feed Butchers (cheap and cheerful) sometimes and alternate that with beefheart. It`s hardly surprising with the same food meal after meal, that they do get bored of it. :)

#5 Sussexplumber, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice