Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new food delivered just now

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by davehyde, Jul 28, 2009.

1. davehyde

davehyde Banned

we just got a delivery of aukarty for the mutt.

thought i'd try him with a handful of the chicken and rice.

well it never seemed to touch the sides lol.

2 15kg bags for 30.99 bargain.

i only have about 2 days of the RC left so i have mixed it in together with some of the new stuff.

but!!! what i didnt realise was how much i had actually been feeding him. i used to weigh out his food at first but then started measuring out by eye, well it seems i have been giving him about 1/3 a bowl more than he really needs lol.

he ate it all of course.

i decided to weigh some out to see how much of the new i needed and thats when i realised. i thought he looked a bit chunky lol, well now i will reduce it to about 400g a day over 2 meals see how he does with that.

do you weigh it out or just guess it? as i was giving way more than i should have been.

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have an eukanuba measuring cup that i use

But i dont actually know how much i give them as i never look lol

What is the right amount??

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I'm weighing Otto's food but because he's growing so fast I'm constantly having to alter the ammount I give him to keep up with his growth. With my adult dogs we used to use a measuring cup but it was a bit of a guessing game really.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I use a measiring cup too.
    It tells me on the side of the bag for Daves weight he should have just over 300g a day, so he gets just over 150g twice a day.

x

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

the right amount varies with age and breed and activity level and weight as an adult in general.

but you will soon know if they are getting a bit chubby lol.

mine is 6 months now and i decided to use the aukarty as the protein is lower than the rc. and the meat was 24% or so. plus its a bit holistic and hypoallergenic.

anyhow he seemed a bit big to me round the middle, but he is solid and i can feel his ribs, just lol.

so i want him to not gain as fast because of his joints. as soon as i can i'll get a recent pic taken and post it. tell me of he looks too big for his age.

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

thats what confuses me.

as they grow as a pup do you keep upping the food level or let it remain constant for say 4-6 weeks at a time?
    the way these foods are designed and formulated a set amount will still help them grow at a controlled rate i assume, and to keep putting the amount up too rapidly would force them to grow too fast.

dunno if i'm right but thats my theory lol. i just never took any notice of it myself tho, although from now on i will keep a better eye on his intake.

7. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I'm gradually increasing his food as his weight increases in line with the recommendations on the pack. Otto seems to be handling the increases without a problem. He isn't getting fat and he isn't getting an upset stomach. I am sure he'd happily eat the whole bag if I let him though!

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

when i had my last dogs at home with me and not travelling with work dry food was still a bit of a fad lol.
    usually mixed with water and stank.

all too bloody scientific now:p

food we had was things like

pedigree chum

lassie

chappy

and all that stuff.

but big meaty bones were a lot easier to come by.

9. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

When Bailey was on dry food I weighed it out all the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice