Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Fear of Going in the Car

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by KumaKuma, Aug 20, 2019.

1. KumaKuma

KumaKuma PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

My puppy Kuma is 9 months old and currently going through what I suspect to be his second fear phase. He's showing a sudden fear of things which he was never fearful of before, but the worst of these is with the car. Specifically the journey to and from work which he does Mon - Fri.
    He's absolutely fine going in the car at the weekend, he'll hop straight in more or less without an issue.
    But he definitely knows the morning routine now, getting him out of the house to leave for work takes forever, I usually have to carry him out. Leaving work is even worse, it's a few minutes walk round to the car park and he will lay on his back so I can't lift him and when I do manage to pick him up I can just feel him shaking in my arms.
    He's getting heavier and heavier, he's currently 25kg so we're fast approaching me not being able to lift him then I'm not sure what I'll do.
    He's usually very food focused, but even his favourite treats aren't working. Everything I've read says to gradually build up to getting him into the car and then do short journeys, but that just isn't possible when he has to come to work with me every day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we've just ordered him a thunder shirt to try and I've downloaded some calming music for dogs, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to try.

Thank you :)

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Are you sure it's not work that's the issue here?
    If a dog doesn't like a car it doesn't like a car full stop. Which is why am reading work could be an issue

tabelmabel and Linda Weasel like this.
  3. KumaKuma

KumaKuma PetForums Newbie

So I did wonder this as well, but he’s also got a problem with coming home. I don’t think he particularly enjoys the car rides at the weekend, but he knows that he’s going on a fun walk so I think maybe that overcomes the fear?

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Something must have upset him either in the car or at work. Can you try leaving him at home for a week or so. Try putting him in the car at other times. Maybe even feeding him in the car. Go for short runs to the park or elsewhere so he gets something positive out of the car journey. It could be he just does not like going to work or it could be that something about the car has upset him and you are going to have to spend some time working out which it is.

tabelmabel likes this.
  5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

One of my dogs went through several months of hating having to get into the car. In her case though I knew exactly why.

At the time travelling in the car meant (or at least in her mind) a visit to the vet!

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Does he ever have to be left in the car whilst you are at work? I am just wondering if any loud noises in the car park could be scaring him (even the sounds of other cars manoevring or groups of people walking past the car chatting and laughing, maybe even lingering around the car?

One of my dogs (murphy ) he is absolutely fine everywhere in a parked car but not if i park on a busy road. I think the sound of heavy traffic coming from behind and past the car terrifies him.

Even today, i parked on a quiet road, i was just walking away from the car when a large lorry passed by it. As soon as the lorry passed, i heard him start barking.

So maybe something like that? Even a large tree branch blowing in the wind and causing shadows in the car.

Obvs if he is never left alone in the car, it isnt this but thought it worth a mention.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice