Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New elderly cat behavior

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JD0963, Jun 18, 2019.

1. JD0963

JD0963 PetForums Newbie

Hi, hopefully someone can advise me with this?

Our 15 year old house cat has recently started doing something strange. She will see something on the floor (like a pair of pants or a shoe) and approach it slowly and bat it gently a few times. It's as if she is nervous while doing this because if I make a noise while she is batting something she will jump (as if she's startled by it)

Could she just be being playful? My worry is that at her age she is going a little senile.

She eats and uses her trays fine.

Thanks for any help

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Could she be going blind? I know with humans, when vision loss starts to occur, things appear distorted which can make them nervous. The batting is her way of interacting with things to work out what they are.

Cully, Saffy Cat, Soozi and 3 others like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My though is her vision is fading so she can't tell what things are. I would make an effort to keep things up off the floor and don't move anything, to keep her safe and less nervous.

A trip to the vet to confirm would also be in order. There might be things you can do for her. Blood work, blood pressure check to be done.

4. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

She could have got spooked by something? One of my cats saw something invisible in the sofa that really scared her. It took a couple of weeks to recover.

Vets an important checkup at 15 as health problems caught quicker are often better dealt with.

Cully and lorilu like this.
  5. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

As the others suggested it could be failing eyesight but senility can happen to. It would be a good idea to take her for a full check up.

6. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

One of the signs of dementia is loud wailing at all times of day or night. It’s caused by confusion.

Another is out of the ordinary aggression towards other cats who live in the house. One of my boys did both those things. The vet said the aggressive behaviour towards other felines is caused by them forgetting where their place is in group, so they revert to behaviour from their youth when they were testing boundaries and fighting for their place.

I agree with the others that it is most likely visual problems, unless these other symptoms are present as well. A trip to the vet could confirm or rule out what the issue might be.

lorilu and MissMiloKitty like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice