Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Engel98, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

1. A couple of days ago I got a 4 year old poodle mix whom is intact. I have already got a bitch (now spayed) so I know about the heat cycle to some extent.

When we got her she was quite matted but I noticed that her vulva was quite swollen which I know happens when a dogs on heat. While shaving out the mats there was what looked likel old, dry blood within the mats.

According to the previous owner she was last in heat in August. (Although several other months were mentioned after and the fact she has had 2 litters already; 2-3 yrs ago)

Is it fair to say she's been in heat?
      While she's been with us she hasn't bled, been receptive, flagging or anything.

(NOTE: I have already said to the vets that I want her spayed as there's plenty of animals in rescues, but if she's been/going on heat I will have to wait 3 months).

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It isn't unusual for the vulva to remain a little enlarged for a while after a season, though not for so long if she was in season in August.

I would suspect she was in season later than that and not too long ago.

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Yes. She had a season August and it's been about 6 months so she is due again, but it's working out if she's going into season or has recently come out.

As I've just got her it's difficult to tell and the previous owner was evasive when I was asking questions, which is exactly what happened when I got my other bitch at the end of last year. Then we had pregnancy scares and phantoms. It was awful not knowing. She too was got rid of because she couldn't get pregnant

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It does sound as though she has had a season fairly recently.

I would explain the circumstances to your Vet and take advice as to when is best to spay her.

5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

We actually spoke to the vet about it when I went to get her vaccines re done. I said to her exactly what I put at the begining, there are plenty of animals in rescues I want her spayed. Vet understood and recommended that we have her spayed in May.

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

My babies Pebbles (shih tzu X apso) and Bella (toy poodle X shih tzu)

Attached Files:

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

I may have another problem now, we've just learnt that she previously lived with intact males and she would have been with them while she was on heat. Looks like I'm back off the vets this week to prevent a possible pregnancy. Is there any signs of pregnancy in the first couple of weeks?

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No, there would be no signs of pregnancy in the early weeks.

If she was with entire males, then it's a very real possibility that she's been mated.

In the light of that, your Vet may decide to spay her now or give the Mismate injection, which would prevent any pregnancy from progressing.

So nice to see how you're trying to do the right thing by her. She's fortunate she came to you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice