Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New dog, snarling?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tash2689, Jul 17, 2009.

1. tash2689

tash2689 PetForums Newbie

Ok so basically yesterday we got a new dog. He's 3 and a half and he's a GSD/Akita. We already had one bitch, 9 months old and very very playful. So when they met they were playing, no problems it would seem. Today we let them out into the back garden, the 9 month old likes to herd him in, probably guarding her territory. Anyway, then they started playing, running around the garden etc but the new dog started snarling and snapping at the 9 month old. I just wondered if this was normal or something to be worried about? I know it's early days but i'm on edge whenever they go out. He's absolutely fine within the house, he lets her sniff him etc without even a second glance. Just looking for a bit of guidance? Thanks.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its really hard to say.

Sounds like your new dog is merely putting the pup in its place, and saying enoughs enough.

Its really early days, and i wouldnt recommend leaving them together unsupervised. It will take your new dog time to settle in, and he may be feeling slightly defensive and bewildered as he is in an unfamiliar environment.

Try keeping your young one on a flexi lead when they are out in the garden. That way your new boy can have the chance to have a sniff and explore his new home without being harassed.

Most dogs will sort out a pecking order between them. But you need to be on hand incase it escalates.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

How does your young dog react when the older dog snarls/snaps?

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I agree with Nonnie with this but also your pup may feel abit threatend because hes older then her and it was her home 1st so it maybe shes trying to boss him about and he dosent like it so is warning her.

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Generally dogs sort this out amoungst themselves. They need to learn what their boundries are with each other. Your intervention will delay this process. I would only get involved if you really fear for the safety of one of the dogs.

When I took on my newest rescue I had fights between him and Max. However, Max is a damaged rescue who needs his space, where as Sammy (the newest one) loves everybody. Eventually Sammy learned that he needed to give max space and Max learnt a bit of tolerance. The fights were because (1) max is an unstable dog with issues (2) because I got involved and added to the problem by becoming worried and tense, where as if I had walked away, I am sure the fights would not have happened.

Seperating the dogs for a short time, whilst you are not there is prob advisable.

A GSD x akita is quite a dog, so just be careful.

By the way, congrats on taking on a rescue x

6. rona

rona Guest

Are you quite certain that it's not just rough play?
    Even Goldies can seem ferocious when playing

7. tash2689

Thank you all for the replies. A few people i've discussed it with have said its about the pecking order. I wouldn't mind so much it just doesn't sound very nice at all. He hasnt actually bitten her or anything as far as i'm aware. Whenever he does it she just keeps running, she just thinks he's playing. We're obviously willing to leave it and see how it goes for the next week or so. I really don't think he means to be aggressive, he's such a loving dog.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If your young dog thinks he's playing, he probably is. Dogs are so much better at reading the subtle nuances of behaviour than us humans. They will sort out a pecking order, and the bigger/older dog will most likely take top place (below you, of course!).
    Be careful though. He is a powerful dog and could do a lot of damage to your collie. Although he is finding his feet in his new home, he should be being on his best behaviour for the first week or so, once he is more settled things may change.

goodvic2 likes this.
  9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

This is so true! If I want to know what a dog really means I look at the reactions of my other dogs.

Good post! :)

10. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

I was thinking much the same,quite a potentially volatile mix there!

11. tash2689

Having observed them yesterday and today it does seem much more like a pecking order issue. At the moment the young female is seemingly dominant, and we never leave them alone together so i'm sure no damage will come to either of them. Will just have to play the waiting game.

12. jesskia

jesskia PetForums Newbie

Hi

I also have a GSD Akita cross called Kia, she is now 5 years old and has always been very vocal in her play in fact the new neighbours thought there was a serious fight going on the first time they heard her playing with our Staffie/Greyhound X. However, Akita's are very dominant and if they do start they do not like to back down so I would be careful to supervise until you are comfortable it is only play.

That aside I think that GSD/Akita is a wonderful mix and Kia has the softest nature with people ever. Enjoy your new dog :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice