Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new dog owner

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by piggybaker, Apr 10, 2011.

1. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

Ok as some of you know I have recently become the proud owner of a rescue dog Tilly. I have a few questions, Ok

Tilly is reallyodd with any form of treat she takes she drops.
    she also will not eat her food when put down for her but will only eat when left on her own,

She has no recall at all, even come girl come, zip,,, she won't sit, lay down but she walks wonderfully on the lead.

Any sites or advice most welcome, booking her in for health check with the vet on Monday and will chat with them about starting her off on injections discovered last night she still has milk in her and her mini is swollen..:eek:

so anyone have first hand experience of rescue dogs especially little ones.

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Firstly get spay organised asap with vets approval.

Remember it is very early days for this little girl, how long have you had her, it must just be just days? So don't expect too much, you can't expect a dog to have good recall when it doesn't even know you yet, so keep her on leader.

Treat her almost like a pup as far as toileting and basic training goes.

Few dogs come out of a rescue or pound fully trained, that is your job :)

Have you had a dog before? There are some good books available for those taking on rescue dogs ... The Rescue Dog: Amazon.co.uk: Katie Boyle, Gwen Bailey: Books This one is good in my opinion :)

I am sure other people will have their favourites!

3. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

No this is a good department, she just is so good, I have already registered at the vets and have spoken about neutering but antil they see her,, But can assure everyone the reason I got a rescue is because i don't do puppies LOL:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice