Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new dog need some general help please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by karlwhitlock, Sep 2, 2013.

1. karlwhitlock

karlwhitlock PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I have reasontly took a rottweiler cross alsation home as my friend couldn't look after him due to circumstances, I don't know how old he is exactly but I got told he's 14 months, I'd say he's older but not much older, he's a happy playful dog and has learned a few tricks, paw etc.. But how can I make him listen more, when my dog does something wrong and I tell him no, it doesn't seem like he's getitng the drift yet, will he ever listen?

#1 karlwhitlock, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff PetForums Senior

No isn't usually very meaningful to a dog. Instead, try to decide what it is you DO want your dog to do instead. For example, if your dog is jumping up at you, rather than tell him no, teach him to sit to greet. If he is scrounging when you eat, you could teach him to down on a mat. The key is simply to pick a behaviour that is incompatible with the thing he is doing that you want him not to do.

He can absolutely learn to listen, if you are communicating clearly what it is you want him to do, and reinforcing that behaviour sufficiently to motivate him to do it. Rotties and GSDs are two very trainable intelligent breeds so I am guessing he will be a quick learner.

A good idea might be to sign up for a group training class with him.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Just saying no to a dog, will mean nothing to very little just on its own. The only way that you can get them to bond with you and focus and get them to listen and pay attention is through consistent and regular training. Teaching him commands and things that you want from him in certain situations.

If he jumps up to greet people for example you teach him that the way to greet people is sitting and calm. If he picks up things he shouldn't or you don't want him too, then you teach him to "leave" and "drop" things when asked. Initially you do this with training using praise and treats and play as his motivator and rewards when he gets it right and does as asked.

If you haven't trained a dog before, it would be beneficial for both of you to go to training classes. That way you will be shown how to train him and teach him things, that you can then practice through the week at daily training sessions.

Welcome to APDT - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK is one organisation that uses kind fair reward based training, you should be able to find a trainer and classes in your area. Phone a few and have a chat to them, so that you can find a suitable class for his and yours needs.

4. karlwhitlock

Yeah I understand what you mean, when I also looked up training there was different types, obedience and others, how can I get him to playfight or how can I bond with him and learn more about what he likes, he doesn't show any signs and he has toys but don't play with them, he has biscuits but don't eat them unless I sit down and make him eat out of my hand?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The secret is usually finding what things really gets them interested and motivated. In the way of food rewards for training when they get things right and do as asked, tiny pieces of cheese, chicken, hotdogs, those cooked sausages you can get or anything liver based usually gets there interest and gets them wanting to work at training and learning commands.

Some dogs like tuggy type toys, others like ones that make noises, some dogs its something like tennis balls, Ive got one that goes mad for tennis balls and they get her instant interest, where as other plain rubber bowls shes not particularly interested in. See if you can find toys that you can play tug with, inviting him to play and getting him interested, or one that you can throw and see if you can get him interested in chasing and retrieving them.

Kongs are good you can fill them with all sorts of things and even freeze them
    they often get interest. There is some recipes on the link below.
    Recipes - KONG

You can get kong wobblers you fill with kibble too, or if he has wet food you can stuff the other kongs with them.

Wobbler - KONG

Busy buddies are good too
    Busy Buddy Twist-n-Treat - YouTube

6. karlwhitlock

Ok thanks a lot for your replys and your time taken to reply. I will buy him some different types of toys and see what he likes best, I will have to take in what he likes and dislikes and try to get to know him more

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice