Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New dog has made Denzi nervous

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Yorkiemorkiemum, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Yorkiemorkiemum

Yorkiemorkiemum PetForums Senior

many on here know that we had to take in my husbands parents dog, a small Yorkie called Bluey, when they both passed away 18 months ago.
    We had two dogs then a 11 year old standard Yorkie, Sammy, and a four year old Morkie, Denzil.
    Last year we lost our beautiful Sammy to liver cancer and since then Bluey has been very vocal and nervy which has impacted on Denzil.
    We went out today and my son was at home and said they barked and howled the whole time we were out!
    I've noticed that the slightest unusual noise and they bark but I wondered what I can do about it?
    Adaptil plug ins don't work at all, just make me sneeze. I also have to be careful what I give Denzil, he is hypersensitive to medication due to having chemotherapy a few years ago. Help??

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You could perhaps try something like zylkene which is basically casein a protein found in milk, see link for details
    http://www.zylkenepet.co.uk/

There is also Kalmaid They contain L- Trytophan and L-theanine which are essential amino acids which are needed for the production of natural serotonin which has a calming effect. It also contains Vitamin B1 which is needed for the nervous system. If you want to read more on Kalmaid
    https://nutriscience.ie/product/kalmaid-dog-calming-supplement-copy/

Both are natural, obviously you would need to just run these past your vet, but if they say one or both is OK, then they may be worth a try. Both can be used for longer term too safely if they are OK. Sometimes one thing may work better on some dogs but not others so sometimes you do have to try one and give it a good trial and if that doesn't help try another.

3. Yorkiemorkiemum

Thanks yet again!
    It's very strange them just starting this barking and howling? I thought it might be because Sammy isn't here as he was so calm in the house? But they are great out doors now and have a group of doggie friends they meet up with on their walks. They are also much better with people, well Bluey is because Denzil has always been great with people.
    I've just thought that they only do it if I'm not with them and wondered whether it might be because I've recently been diagnosed with more health issues and they've picked up on it? Dogs can sense things can't they?

4. Marina Notaro

Marina Notaro PetForums Newbie

Hi, it's Marina,Re Giz...I have tried to reply to you but the site isn't letting me post..I can't find an option to DM you....?

5. Sled dog hotel

Some dogs can be very sensitive to changes in us and things going on that may mean changes in their normal routines so it could be possible.If they do it more or only when you are not there though, do you think it could be that one or both has developed a bit of separation anxiety perhaps?

6. Yorkiemorkiemum

I'll check my settings now.

7. Yorkiemorkiemum

Just checked my settings and it seems ok. The 'receive emails from members' ticked so not sure.
    You can post on here, unless it is something you dont want public, everyone is kind and in the know, usually.
    I did have one member tell me 'I was being stupid wasting money', when Denzil was ill but everyone slated him and defended me! So don't worry. I will also be notified straight away.

8. Yorkiemorkiemum

Hi Sled dog! Yes you may be correct with that. I think Bluey sees me as a Mum now and because he lost Mum and Dad last year he's frightened he'll lose me. He didn't like people talking to me when I walk him but that is easing now because my husband and daughter walks him more than I do. I have had them on calming chews and natural biscuits and if we go out I leave the radio on. I was thinking of the medication but as you know I don't like giving them dog meds lol!

9. Sled dog hotel

The Zylkene is casein which is a protein found in milk, and the Kalmaid only contains essential amino acids that are needed for natural serotonin production and they also contact B vtamins that are essential for a healthy nervous system, so there isn't anything harmful or unnatural in them or stuff that will drug them, so if it does keep on might be worth trying those.

10. Yorkiemorkiemum

Thanks Sled dog.
    I was put off them because they are found in milk as my dogs hate milk and are lactose intolerant. But if they are ok for dogs then I'll try them.
    Bluey has started with the skin irritation again which can't be helping him.
    Tried everything and it's come back again so my have to go back to the vets.

11. Sled dog hotel

I wonder if his skin problems might be due to something like pollens or grasses if its started again now that can be quite a common cause. Have you ever tried Dermacton products for his skin, it comes in shampoo bar, spray and cream forms. If you haven't heard of it before there is more about it on the link.

http://www.aromesse.com/skin-proble...dermacton-cream-spray-shampoo-dog-canine.html

12. Yorkiemorkiemum

Just checked the website out and it looks really good. I'm going to order some of the shampoo and conditioner.
    You can't get better than 100% money back gaurentee!

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice