Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New dog/family member

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stef2761, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Stef2761

Stef2761 PetForums Newbie

Hello all

I'm new to this forum and so am unsure where to post this however...

I would like some suggestions on what dog breed that would be best suited for me and my family.

I have had dogs in the past but not for many years, my wife doesn't want one because of the cleaning side of it (I do and so does my daughter 2vs1 so I win ) however id like a dog that doesn't need much grooming because of this. After doing some research myself it seems that most of the short haired breeds (less grooming) are smaller hunter type dogs which can cause problems if in an area where they would come into contact with "play things" as a friend put it...

Could any of you suggest any short haired breeds that would be able to be trained not to act out their basic hunting instincts and be a great family dog ?
    Any and all suggestions/criticisms welcome
    Thanks in advance
    stef

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What is the cleaning side your wife does not want. Hair, poo and wee from puppy or grooming the dog. All pups will cause a great deal of cleaning of the house. Not every breed sheds hair but those that do not will need more grooming. What do you think the dog is going to do if it has a high prey drive and wants to hunt. If you do not want that then avoid terriers but it could occur in any breed regardless of hair length.

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Hi,

Honestly, I'd not recommend getting a dog unless everyone in the family is 100% on the idea. Your wife will be living with the dog and mess is part and parcel of dog ownership. Most breeds of dogs shed hair, only the minority shed none at all. Those that don't shed require extensive daily brushing and frequent trips to professional groomers.

Regardless of whether a dog sheds or not, all dogs bring in dirt and grime, and this is particularly prevalent during our long winters. Every time the dog does in the garden, or out for a walk, it's bringing mess in. Mud is the bain of most dog owners lives from about October to April time. Then obviously you have the dog messing in the house and soiling in the garden etc.

Most dogs have some degree of chase instincts.....they are predators after all.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Stef2761

Thanks for the reply!

She is mostly bothered by the daily shedding of hair (after the puppy stage) I have already said poo/pee/sick etc is all in the puppy stage before training and I will fully take control of this. She just hates the thought of having to go over every piece of furniture in the house every day to get rid of hair.

The are I live is close to lots of fields and country side which would be great for a dog with hunting tendencies however where my house is there are alot of cats around and I wouldn't want to have to deal with the problems that would come with my dog catching them....

I'm obviously aware that most dogs would have a go at this but I have also seen a friends patterdalr terriers (beautiful dogs) in action which are on another playing field!
    Thanks again

5. Stef2761

Thanks for the reply.

She says she doesn't want one but absolutely loves pets she would love the dog regardless of the mess. At this stage I'm only after suggesting from you lot for potential good fits for the family I'm in no rush and will research each individual suggestion myself well before I even start the process of finding a dog.

Thanks again

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Maybe minature schnauzer - needs coat care but a regular appt with a groomer for hand stripping will take care of that.

Don't discount long hair though - my tibetan terrier is not a true terrier and has no hunt instinct at all
    He sheds no hair. And i don't find grooming a chore. 10 mins every couple of days. Coat picks up a lot of debris though, especially in winter.

7. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

To be honest, I can sympathise with that! I love dogs but I wouldn't willingly have a heavy shedding one, I think it would drive me mad. I was round someones house the other day and had their jack russell on my knee for half an hour and came away completely and utterly covered in little white hairs :D

My dogs only shed a very small amount and into their coats, but as mentioned above, that means they do need regular grooming. But you can always keep the coats short so less brushing is needed and you still get the benefit of little to no shedding.

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I know dalmatians can be difficult if not exercised enough but i don't think they hunt do they? Not a breed I'm very familiar with so you would need to check that out!

9. Stef2761

Thanks for the reply!

I've been to friends houses where I literally would not sit down from fear of having to spend a good ten minutes with a roller taping off all of the hairs on Me lol i wouldn't want that situation for my house as much as I love the long haired dogs that this happens with.
    Than is again.
    Any suggestions are welcome

10. Stef2761

Thanks for the reply!

Thank you for the suggestion I've never really had any contact with that breed myself I'd love any information from anyone who has personal experiences?

Thanks again

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I don't know if any PF members have Dalmatians - i do really like them myself and i have met a few when out and about with my own dogs that seem fine off lead and well behaved. They do need lots of exercise though or they can be very boisterous.

12. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Short haired and long haired dogs both shed unless they are a non-shed breed :)

13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

My tilly is a short haired breed that sheds but i really don't notice it at all so it must be very light (no good for OP, she is a brittany and they are keen hunters)

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

When I was breeding, I would never let a pup go to a household where the Wife was not on board.

Usually, it is she who will end up with most of the work.

It's a myth that longer coated Breeds shed the most. I found my smooth coated dogs lost the most coat.

There are none casting Breeds. That isn't to say they don't lose coat, they do, but it doesn't fall, it has to be brushed out.

Shih Tzu, Yorkshire Terrier, Poodle, Schnauzer, Bichon are a few.

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  15. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Many short hair breeds she'd alot. The short hairs can be a nuisance to clean from clothes and furniture and carpets as they stick more easily than longer hairs that are more likely to form clumps or on solid surfaces, fluffy hair balls.

Short haired dogs like labs and Jack russels in my experience shed slot all the time though it is seasonal in that some parts of the year is even more.

If shedding is an issue but you think you would enjoy grooming and are willing to regularly visit a professional groomers then non shedding breeds may be an option like poodle Bichon, and also schnauzers for example.

However chosing the correct breed is more than just coat. How much exercise can you offer and do you want to do. What sort of mental stimulation do you propose to give your dog. What size are you interested in. You mention lower hunting drive but what other traits do you like or not like. Is bidability important or not. What about dealing with conformational or health issues prevalent in some breeds ?

One option may to visit a rescue centre and spend some time getting to know the dogs and see if any meet your requirements. Adults are lots easier to deal with than bitey messy landshark puppies. Also you might find yourself falling for a bitsa dog - one with bits of one breed and bits of another that is perfect for your requirements but as a mongrel wouldn't be available from a breeder.

If you do want a pup please research breeders, ensure they have done the appropriate breed club specified health tests (not just a vet health check) and that the pups aren't from a puppy farm.

#15 kittih, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    JoanneF likes this.
  16. Stef2761

Thanks for the reply!

I agree I was abit light on the other traits I am after, in all honesty I am not at all picky as long as the dog is able to be trained (and it's hunting tendencies kept in check) I'm a happy man.
    What's everyone's favourite breed ? I'll research each see if I can find one that I like myself.
    Thanks again

17. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

[​IMG] to PF

A poodle doesn't leave hair all over the place, but they still can bring a lots of dirt in. What ever breed you have, you vacuum let the dog back in two minutes later you wonder why you bothered.

We have a Briard not a breed for the faint hearted, they are a lovely breed, loving and caring but can be very self willed, they think for themselves and make their own descions and you can't always change it.

Attached Files:

18. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Unless you want a dog with high maintenance grooming needs - such as a poodle - then all dogs shed.
    Poodles and other non shedding dogs hair continues to grow and then needs daily brushing and regular clipping.
    All other dogs hair grows to a certain length then is pushed out by new hairs therefore they shed.
    There are dogs that completely blow their coats a couple if times a year such as a husky and dogs that shed less than others.
    A border terrier might be worth looking into - lower shedding with regular brushing and having the coat stripped 2 or 3 times a year would keep hair over furniture etc at a minimum.
    And if you are really adverse to dog hair showing on clothing do not get a white dog.

Although I find hair the least of my worries, dirt, mud, leaves, grass seeds, wet foot prints, wet dog in general and smelly anal glands create much more mess and stink than a bit of dog hair!!

simplysardonic likes this.
  19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

My friend has a Dalmatian and although she doesn't shed a lot, the hairs get sort of embedded in things and are hard to vacuum out. And OP, don't feel that other dogs are comparable to Patterdales. They have an extremely high prey drive and are not average pets.

tabelmabel likes this.
  20. Peggypegs

Peggypegs PetForums Member

A bit late to the thread but Dalmatians can be excellent hunters as the ones I grew up with were capable of catching pheasants, rabbits and squirrels. We also knew people who had kept them all their life and most of theirs had prey drive as well. They did also take a lot of exercise going running with my dad when they were young. They are a brilliant breed if you want to be active and have a sense of humour. Although a word of caution OP some lines/individuals are prone to dog aggression and even a distrust of strangers so be careful where you look if you go I’d you choose one. Also on the cleaning front they shed for England and your entire house will be filled with little white hairs that will stay with you for ever.

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice