Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New diagnosis of Feline hyperesthesia syndrome

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Skyblue16, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Skyblue16

Skyblue16 PetForums Newbie

My 7 year old boy floki has just been diagnosed with fhs. Its seems so distressing for him. I've done a lot of research but wondering if anyone has any experience with their pets and any advice. He has just started gabapentin, but we still cant take the cone off him or he self mutilates.
    Thanks

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You must be feeling so distressed/ How long has he been on the gabapentin? Does he take the med okay?

I know sometimes FHS can be controlled, at least in part, with diet changes. What's your cat's diet?

Many years ago I had a cat diagnosed with idiopathic partial seizure disorder. These days he would probably be diagnosed with FHS. He's been gone a long time now, but his symptoms were so severe he had to take phenobarbital all his life. I lost him at just past 12 to cancer. The phenobarbital controlled the out breaks, and after about a little over a year of trail and error and adjustment we found the lowest possible dose to keep him "seizure" free and still have a great quality of life.

All these years later I know a lot more than I did then, and I would have focused more on improving his diet. He ate canned Fancy Feast all his life. FF while wet, does have a lot of additives that may have made his symptoms worse.

3. Skyblue16

Skyblue16 PetForums Newbie

He has just begun the gabapentin but been on phenobarb a little while. They ate talking about mixing the two if the gabapentin alone doesn't work.

He is a really fussy eater. He will only eat pouches of gourmet food but dry food anything. He does love his tuna though. I've been looking that diet can be really important.
    Would he eventually just accept a change of food? He never has in the past.

It's all so scary and horrible to watch. He self mutilated his tail do bad.

Thanks for reply

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice