Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New companion for my doberman or......

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Knightriser, Jul 2, 2018.

1. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

Also consider the presence or lack thereof of the cohones. My cohoneless boy gets on much better with other cohoneless boys. He will tolerate cohoned boys but not as bezzas.

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have to disagree with you. In my groups of dogs (owned up to 5) there is always a dominant one that has to do nothing obvious to the human eye for the others to back off. Seen it alter as the boss dog gets older and the others lose a bit of respect for her. Same with horses, it is fascinating to watch.

I think you will find the so called alpha theory was the interaction between human and dog not dog and dog

3. Tucson

Tucson PetForums Junior

I wouldn't say he'd be vulnerable under attack because he's neutered but as for cancer be aware Dobermanns are very prone to cancer. All 3 of mine died of various cancers all aged 8.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Castrating would reduce the chance of testicular cancer to 0% (if they're not there, they can't get cancer), and some cancers are hormone-related but it shouldn't make any difference whether an entire dog has sex or not.

5. Tucson

Tucson PetForums Junior

Osteosarcoma is the biggie for castrated Dobermanns although not exclusively. It's also very aggressive and treatment will only buy a very small amount of extra time. If I ever had another Dobermann I wouldn't have them neutered. Hard choice I know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice