Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New companion for my doberman or......

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Knightriser, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Knightriser

Knightriser PetForums Newbie

So.....
    I own a doberman he was bred for temperament and not for looks or at least that’s what the ad said, before I bought a doberman I researched high and low about 30 different breds of dog, nothing suggested what I have read recently on some recent forum feeds so wanted some clarity.

My doberman is a male he is currently 14 months old he has always loved other dogs all breds all sex’s he just loves to play. His never been aggressive and has had a dog snap at him in which he has just moved away. He has not been given the snip as I wasn’t sure if this was nessary if a dogs temprament stays well natured.

I stay at home with him all the time but go out often on Saturday nights fortnightly and on occasions through out the day, I was considering getting him a companion as the neighbors told me he seems a little sad at times I go out he is also super bouncy and loves to play for hours and due to his love for other dogs I thought it would be nice that he would have a dog to play with when out and in the house.

I always wanted a French bulldog and really wanted a male, I had recently read that two male dogs should not be put together, a little while ago a friend of mine who owns a German Shepard aged 2 yrs found that her working hours have increased and bought him a male French bulldog companion he too is male and not as dog friendly as my dobe. At current they seem to get along when my dog met her puppy he was in love he cradled him and was so gentle they licked each other and laid on the grass for 1 hour no rough play. Is this because the puppy is young and there is no challenging behaviour?

Everywhere I read after this consideration is saying under no circumstances don’t put 2 male dogs together, it is also saying doberman are more prone to male on male aggression I’ve never seen this with my boy and his 14 months old other dogs have shown him aggression and he has walked away that has been a jack Russel, Beagal and a black lab.

I’ve noticed a change in my boy not with other dogs but in terms of being more protective over the family in the last month, more alert, more concerned more restless if we are out of sight.

If a dog is smaller such as a French bulldog as there is quite a big Size difference will male on male aggression still be an issue even if my dobe nurtures him as a puppy?

And is my friend potentially in for a rough ride having housed a German Shepard male with a male Frenchie?

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Your dog is still quite young and immature, like you say you have noticed a bit of a difference in him. He's not an adult yet so his full temperament is not known.

That said the same sex aggression I have seen noted and cautioned against with Dobe's pertains to housing with other Dobes. Often in breeds that are intolerant of the same sex they do just fine with a small dog of the same sex. I have a male aggressive breed and he could happily live with a little one, just not a large male who would present a threat.

I don't think your dog needs a play mate however. Dogs either pace around because they're anxious or sleep constantly when owners are not in. They're unlikely to be chatting, watching the soaps and playing together.

Burrowzig, Happy Paws2 and Torin. like this.
  3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Your Dobermann will not tolerate aggression from other dogs when he is mature. As I said in your other thread, at 14 months he's very much a puppy. An adult Dobermann isn't going to be a push over.

Give it a year then see what your dogs temperament is like before adding another. I would add opposite sexes with that breed, so a bitch would work much better than a dog. I find breeds are better compatible when they are similar sizes but it's a personal choice. Obviously French Bulldogs are the current fashionable choice of dog breed and many suffer from severe health problems, so that is something to bear in mind......

4. Knightriser

Yes it is very hard, as before I bought a Doberman as mentioned I looked at 30 other breeds French bulldog was on of them, I visited 3 French bulldog puppies as well and I love their kind loving natures they are more of a companion dog who want to cuddle etc.

Problem is I was having to choose an all round dog my eldest son is in a wheelchair and we owned cats before he never really could interact with them due to the fact they were so low to the ground, when choosing a bred for interaction purposes it always felt more fair to get a bigger dog.

Doberman was the choice of bred always at our side always giving both my sons licks always sits next to us follows me everywhere and also plays which I hear isn’t so common for dobes to play fetch and stuff but he loves it.

I try and cuddle him lol he lets me for about 10 mins then runs away he needs to watch the house, he needs to check the kids, he needs to be alert and hugging his owner stops all that.
    I wouldn’t say his anxious as someone mentioned him not needing a friend and circling because of being anxious he doesn’t circle he brings toys to play with ropes, balls, teddy’s he is well exercised all the dogs in the park are tired and his always the last man standing.

French bulldog is one choice based on it being smaller and I am thinking of spacing in the house around my sons wheelchair and also managing two large breed dogs equally energetic, although I have considered if he would be better placed with another female Doberman, I would consider a female French bulldog.

I will wait until he is about 2 years old he tries to play with the cat often another indication he would like a friend but the cat is not interested in the dogs toy offerings or his bouncing side to side.

5. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

In your situation you have a better chance of the dogs living in harmony if you choose a female. That's not to say two males wouldn't live happily together but there is always a greater risk of same sex aggression. I currently have two male GSDs. I lost my bitch three years ago. I tend to prefer males in looks and temperament but will most likely choose a bitch when I get a new pup later this year just to minimise the risk of any issues. My two males tolerate each other rather than being best friends.

6. Tucson

Tucson PetForums Junior

I used to have 3 Dobermanns, 2 females and a male, at the same time I had 2 other male dogs and they got along fine together. The Dobermanns had wonderful temperaments. The story often repeated about Dobermanns not tolerating other males was probably started by breeders as they tend to keep more dogs of both sexes and males competing for breeding rights will always be an issue. That doesn't necessarily translate to ordinary owners but personally I'd not risk 2 entire males of similar size together but there are no hard and fast rules. When I had multiple males together, some were neutered before they came to me and they certainly managed to live in harmony with entire males. So much depends on the dogs temperament and how they're brought up but your friend might be in for a bumpy ride it's impossible to say for certain.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think dogs definitely take companionship from each other, enjoy playing together and enjoy snuggling up together and are definitely happier being left at home with a companion. I will leave my dogs for far longer if there are two or more than I would if there was just one as they are not alone.

Knightriser likes this.
  8. Knightriser

@Moobli I too tend to prefer males in terms of temprament and looks hence why a male was on my list, I also read somewhere that if a dog submits to another dog then no accounters normally take place,

I see you mentioned 2 male german shepherds and tolerating but not being best friends when you say tolerating do you feel comfortable to leave them home alone or do you feel there is a chance they could fight?
    Tbf tolerating is good as they are equal in size so would of thought they would both fight for that alpha role, I do notice that my dog treats smaller dogs a lot different to bigger dogs he also never snaps which is something I see lots of dobermans do in play snap there teeth at the other dogs and they do it from puppyhood as I have witnessed, my boy never has.

I guess I’m just looking for the perfect friend for him but as well as one that will fit nicely into the family

9. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

The 'alpha' theories were disreputed years and years ago. Dogs are not wolves :)

It would be nice if one dog submitted to another and the other dog backed off, but it doesn't really work like that either. It's why submissive dogs tend to get bullied by insecure and thuggish dogs.

Torin. likes this.
  10. Knightriser

It’s been a hard thinking process ideally I would rather keep my doberman in tact but have been told if I am not going to bred him then remove them as can cause cancer in male dogs who are not active not sure if this is true?

On the other hand I am worried that if I remove them and he is ever under attack etc will he become vulnerable to be under attack or tested etc.
    A French bulldog would be good for my younger son who always wants to take out our doberman and I have let him sometimes around the block I don’t worry about my dog attacking anyone but I am no longer comfortable with my son taking him out as he is a big dog and may jump on someone smaller as in a child or want to chase someone cause he likes to run if people run he thinks it’s a game I tell him no the moment I see someone going at a fast past and he will ignore them straight away wether he is offlead or onlead, but I don’t feel like my son has that sort of control over him my son is 12 and he is now a 34KG dog I now feel bad that I have stopped him doing this but for the safety of everyone and to prevent any accidents it has to be done.

Which is also why when selecting a companion for our dobe Kaiser I was heading more with smaller dog, thought he would accept it more, feel less need to dominate, my son could walk the smaller dog and not feel left out and when I am not home he would have a friend, one dog secures and does what it’s born to do and the other hugs and plays and clowns around. Well at least that was my theory but I feel a little clueless lol

11. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

I do leave them alone together although not all that often as my younger male accompanies me everywhere. My older GSD is now 10 years and is not up to being active all day any more. He is left with my husband's retired collie bitch in the house. The two GSDs have had three fights in six years so not a huge issue but they do grumble and show jealous tendencies towards one another. I would hope I could manage with a third male in the house, but would rather minimise any issues arising so will likely go for a bitch next time around.

12. Knightriser

Are both your dogs intact?

13. Knightriser

Are both your dogs intact?

14. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

The older dog in neutered, younger is entire.

15. Knightriser

Sorry wrong person lol
    Maybe I will call the doberman committee lol before purchasing a Doberman I called kennel club who directed me to people who have raised or been around the breed for years as I’m trying to figure out if what I hear about same sex dogs is more bred specific, or a rule of thumb in general if it applies to dogs of totally different sizes?

16. Knightriser

Do you ever feel it would if made a difference in their relationship if both were neutered? Or do you feel regardless they were just not destined to be best friends?

17. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

I don't think neutering would make a difference to be honest as I don't believe it is hormone driven behaviour in these two. GSDs tend to be people dogs and all my shepherds have preferred my company to that of other dogs and so don't tend to play with other dogs or seek them out.

18. Knightriser

Tbf there are a few GSD’s where I live when they were younger they loved to play with my boy by the time they got to around 1yr old they made it quite clear they would like my boy to go away as they were quite happy chilling with their human pack.

I don’t think dobermans are really known to be into other dogs either maybe my dog is like this now because his 14 months only thing is I thought a companion would be good when we are out as my son goes to college my other son to school and I am in often as an self employed but still had the odd day I am out he actually cries tears and his nose runs.

19. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I’ve got bitches, all spayed. Would get a dog next time around, I would never add another bitch to the mix. Dog and bitch always works better.

20. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I'd probably wait until your boy is mature. With my youngest I couldn't even entertain the idea of a new puppy with him at 14 months...still can't lol. But that may be because I have three dogs already!

There is the chance of same sex aggression, and to be honest, whether it's more of an American line issue or not ( as the majority of cases I've heard of SSA are from friends/owners of Dobes in the US ) it's still something to consider with your dog. As everyone else has pointed out a dog & bitch pairing generally works better and easier.

My large breed working dog is not very tolerant of other males but does live with my older male. I would like to add a son of his in the future sometime but I'm not sure whether they would clash. So it's something to weigh up in my situation too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice