Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

New cats have weed on the sofa - anything we can do, or should we chuck it?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mooki3, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Mooki3

Mooki3 PetForums Newbie

We have two new cats and they've weed on the sofa, to the point where it's gone through the cushions (which we've washed using biological washing powder and then sprayed extensively using enzymic odour remover), and even through the base and there's a small patch on the floor.

My wife wants to throw it out and get a new one, but it's a really nice (and expensive) sofa which fits perfectly in the room.

I'm thinking of pouring very hot water with the biological washing powder through the frame, and then using loads of the enzymic odour remover we have, but is that a waste of time?

Thanks

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome

Oh dear!

You need to think about why your little ones are doing this, is it because you have had a cat previously, or you have other cats?
    Have your cats been neutered? How old are they and how long have you had them, let’s have a little more info on them as to introductions, changes in the household etc.

For the now!

Don’t throw it out just yet, try this before such drastic actions.

Priority, get simple solution, spray or rather saturate the cushions, leave for a good twenty minutes then wash again.

Ban those monkeys from the front room.

Get more litter trays!

Monitor when they need the toilet, write the times down for a pattern.

If the wee wee seems excessive pop them to the vets to be checked out.

Other will come along with other ideas too

Good luck

jill3, moggie14, Wiz201 and 5 others like this.
  3. Mooki3

Mooki3 PetForums Newbie

Thanks! We do have 2 other cats - one of which is their brother! :) They have been neutered, and have access to a large litter box each which we clean out every time they use it.

We've limited their access to the living room now too, and will continue to do so pretty much all the time unless we're in there.

It's the Simple solution we've been using :) Going to go and pick up another 4L botle now and spray the hell out of everything.

4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Oh ok, yes if they aren’t on the sofas they can’t wee! Little beggars :D

I’m sure @chillminx will come and give you the reasoning behind the behaviour issues, for there must be something going on, terriorty maybe!
    Have you ruled out possible UTI

Your not alone in your bulk buy of simple solution, I have a puppy who is 89% toilet trained but if she gets over excited when the post man calls :rolleyes: she just wee where ever she is!

Good job the simple solution is pleasantly fragrant :D

Mooki3 and Summercat like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Mooki3, if your sofa is a nice, expensive one I wouldn't try any heroics with hot water and washing powder - you could completely ruin it. Instead I would get it professionally cleaned. Get some quotes, as prices vary, and ensure they are certain they can deal with urine stains/damage.

Re: the cats: a few questions :)

How old are they and how long have you had them?

Did you get both the new ones at the same time? Did they know each other before you got them?

How did you introduce the new cats to the other 2 cats? Did you keep them in their own separate space to give the resident cats as well as the newcomers time to get the measure of each other slowly - at their own pace, over a period of weeks or months?

If you put all the cats together within a day or two, the chances are the newcomers feel very insecure and are trying to establish some ownership of the territory.

Also, litter trays are a major resource to cats, and there is a strong possibility the 2 resident cats are blocking the newcomers from the litter trays. This is not something you would notice as it is done subtly, but means the newcomers become anxious and are then scared to use the trays for fear of upsetting the resident cats.

Cats do not keep to their own trays unless you prevent the other cats getting to them. This would be too complicated in a household of 4 cats, so the best approach is to provide a multitude of litter trays, so the competition for them is reduced.

The absolute minimum number of trays for 4 cats is 5 trays. But with your current problems I would provide 6 trays and spread them around the house, not grouped together. There is less chance of the 2 original cats blocking the newcomers this way.

Also provide an unscented clumping litter, so the trays are easy to scoop and keep clean. One of the fine granular litters is best. Cats like Cats Best Oko Plus litter and especially Worlds Best, which they are drawn to like a magnet. But I now buy a cheaper one that is just as good - it's called Super Benek Natural Clumping litter and is made of corn. Buy online from Zooplus.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/super_benek/461099

Ensure the 2 new cats have their own separate feeding spots away from the other 2 and out of their sight. Always serve food to the 2 original cats first. Do not allow bowl sharing or food stealing.

#5 chillminx, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Calvine, Mooki3, sskmick and 5 others like this.
  6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Can’t see the point of getting another sofa as it could happen again. It might take a lot of patience to stop the habit so try not to expect miracles. Good luck with the solid advice given by @chillminx

7. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I wouldn't throw it out, but I would be soaking it in the odour/enzyme solutions. I would limit their access to one room when you are out and say the living room when you are in. Make sure you have enough litter trays, my rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat and a spare. I also found my lads wouldn't use a soiled litter tray and would not use the litter tray if I used a different brand of cat litter. I tried using a litter tray liner - they weren't having that.

Chillminx has offered excellent advice, no need for me to say anymore tbh

#7 sskmick, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Mooki3, chillminx and Summercat like this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

It's catch 22. The old sofa now smells like the place to wee. Maybe a very cheap new one for now, protected with puppy pads under a washable throw?

Mooki3 likes this.
  9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

The best enzymatic solutions I found were for car valeting, they're designed to deal with anything including kids being sick on car seats etc. so they really work.
    Picnic blankets work well as protective covers - a waterproof plastic underside means nothing gets through to your sofa and they're washable. They can usually be found in budget stores at this time of year.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?q=picnic+blanket

#9 havoc, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Good advice already given. I would keep them out of the room for a while. Also i would get some rubber backing material like you can get for a childs bed (for bed wetting) and I would pop that on your sofa with a nice throw on top for when you do allow them in the room. One of mine did this on our bed when we first had him. He did grow out of it.
    So having said that i would buy some water proof mattress covers for your beds as replacing mattresses are expensive too:)

Calvine and Mooki3 like this.
  11. Mooki3

Mooki3 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all so much for the replies, the sofa is ready to be collected and taken to landfill tomorrow unfortunately... we're going to keep any furnishings out of the rooms they go in for the foreseeable future (at least until they can go outside) and then buy a new sofa and a waterproof cover of sorts as suggested by a couple of people above. Thanks again :D

ewelsh likes this.
  12. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Oh dear! Very expensive kittens so far then!

13. Mooki3

Mooki3 PetForums Newbie

Afraid so! :(

Worth it though :)

jill3, Summercat and ewelsh like this.
  14. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

How old are both the new arrivals and your longer residents? How long have you had the new arrivals for?

15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

How about one of these? Washable and with waterproof backing! I got one for my sofa not for wee accidents just protection! If you have a good look you might be able to find one in the exact size.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reversible...sofa+cover&dpPl=1&dpID=51g2R8nLUoL&ref=plSrch

chillminx and Mooki3 like this.
  16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I have one of those - believe it or not to make my leather sofa more agreeable to the cats :rolleyes: They aren't waterproof, only water 'repellant'. I wouldn't trust it to do the job, might do once but water repellant properties don't seem to survive a turn in the washing machine.

Mooki3 and Soozi like this.
  17. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

You Could be right about the waterproofing! I didn’t get a water resistant one, like you I just got one as my sofa is leather. I did think however that maybe the ones that claim to be waterproof/resistant might have a rubbetised backing?

Mooki3 likes this.
  18. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

No, it's the fabric which is meant to be water repellant. It's like those mattress protectors which are a sort of weird non-woven fabric and are meant to be water resistant. They don't work with cats either - the only safe cover is one with a plastic waterproof backing :)

Soozi and Mooki3 like this.
  19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

20. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty Miss Meowlo

Personally I would take sofa to the tip and get a second hand sofa and put waterproof covers on it. This would be just a temporary solution until problem was solved. When the problem is resolved I would buy a brand new sofa. The trouble with Cat pee is that it's difficult to remove the smell completely. Cat pee needs to be cleaned before it dries for best results.

It sounds like they've got territory issues. Just because they were litter mates doesn't necessarily mean that they will live in harmony. I am sure more experienced owners of multiple cats can better advise you

Mooki3 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice