Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by ktyvasilescu, Dec 1, 2020.

1. ktyvasilescu

ktyvasilescu PetForums Junior

Quick question, is it more likely for my 10 month old to accept a new kitten? Just debating whether to get him a friend.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It's hard to say for sure because every cat is different in what they will accept. So much depends too on how carefully one introduces the cats to each other (taking plenty of time over it) .

Generally speaking an adult cat would probably accept a kitten more easily that they would accept an adult cat. If you decide to get a kitten, choose one who you can see gets on well with his/her litter mates and is not pushy.

ktyvasilescu likes this.
  3. ktyvasilescu

This is a very difficult decision turns out. The kitten I’ve found is being rehomed due to the owner’s allergy so it’s hard to know how she behaves with her littermates. And my boy is starting to get more attitude as he’s going through his adolescent phase.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Has your boy been neutered?

5. ktyvasilescu

Yes, he’s been neutered. He’s not very territorial or acting like he owns the place but I guess he was never put in the position to feel like acting like that either. I’m not even sure he actually wants a friend as my partner is home most of the time but at some point we will have to start being away from home for longer periods of time due to work commitments. Over the past month I have definitely noticed a change of personality, he’s not acting like a kitten anymore, he’s more mature and calm now still acting like a spoiled brat sometimes but definitely not as needs as before.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ah yes, he is growing up. :) I love that period of change when they start to become more independent. And you start to see the adult personality emerging. At the same time I feel a little passing pang of sadness for the loss of their cute baby behaviour.

7. ktyvasilescu

Yes, couldn’t agree more it’s great to see them grow up but we all love a kitten demanding our attention all the time. I think I will postpone getting him a companion as we’re going to move soon as well so don’t want extra stress for him and he seems a pretty happy boy on his own. Ruler of his kingdom.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice