Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New cat??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ammy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Hello- bear with me here, am very new to cat ownership, if I say something stupid- please do not crucify me!!! :)

We had a new cat, Evie back in March. A beautiful although slightly troubled Tortie. I saw her being advertised on a second hand website and although never having had a cat before we went for it!! She is not very affectionate and is probably not the easiest first cat ;) She runs hot and cold, prefers to be outside than to be near humans and looks like she will be sick when we try to touch her :D Perhaps a typical cat??!!!! We talk to her lots, give affection on her terms and feed her little and often to form a 'food bond' and she seems to be coming round although I will never expect to cuddle up with me (she did a few times when we first had her, but she knows she has 'got us' now!!) but she seems quite happy- anyway I digress....

In May, we decided that we would like another cat. We love Evie so much, even though she is aloof and arsey :D she is so special to us and a complete cat version of me!! So we did our research and decided to get a kitten and introduce slowly. We did this and after a few hairy moments which I think always happen when introducing cats, they are now absolute buddies and are outside playing and washing eachother as I speak. :) Little Meg is an absolute treasure and has brought Evie right out of her shell. Evie mothers her like mad and wraps her arms round Meg and licks her to sleep. It just makes me melt to see them so happy together. I understand it can go one of 2 ways but my 2 girls really do get on very well. We worked hard and read a lot of books to ensure such an outcome and it paid off.

Now, I may be mad having only been a cat owner for...oooh...4 months?? But we love our cats so much and take so much time with them to make sure they are happy that we are considering another one later on in the year (not just yet as Meg is still only 13 weeks), we realise the risks when introducing cats but we feel like absolute veterans in this area now and honestly feel that we can do it (with the help of a massive cage on wheels!! don't ask...). However upon discussion, my Husband would like to have a pedigree BSH BUT we are concerned about introducing a pedigree to 2 moggies. This sounds daft....but should we expect exactly the same as introducing 2 moggies? That does sound mad, doesn't it?? Would it somehow be different? I'm expecting a pedigree temprement to be different- calmer perhaps?? Dunno- need some experienced voices!! Has anyone else introduced a pedigree to a pair of scoundrel moggies?? Is it even the done thing??!!! We live in a quiet cul-de-sac and our girls go out in the garden and play and would fully expect the new cat to do the same- is there some sort of etiquette about letting pedigree cats out? My sister says that she knows a few people with pedigree cats and they stay indoors and I may struggle to get a breeder to sell me a cat that I am willing to let out.

Any tips or own experiences welcome- sorry if the questions are utter twaddle!!!!

:D

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forum
    It sounds as if you have done a great job in introducing Evie and Meg and adding another kitten should not be too difficult though you can never tell with cats. It won't make any difference if it is a pedigree or not though some breeds have very different tempraments. I have a moggy and a Siamese but they do not get on too well because Mai Tai (10 month old Siamese) just wants to play with Gizmo (6 year old grumpy moggy) he tolerates her but won't cuddle up or play with her.
    As for keeping pedigree cats indoors, some breeders do ask that you do so. It is best to ask around when you are looking for a kitten let the breeder know the conditions where you live etc. and see how they feel about allowing them out. It is quite difficult to have one cat that has to stay in while the others are out.
    You might be as well to get another kitten while Meg is young as they have more chance of bonding with one another if they are similar ages.
    Sorry for the essay - late night waffle :D. Love to see pictures of Evie and Meg :)

3. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Will try very very hard to get some pics up but its not playing at the mo!! :( I do have some lovely pics of them together- Evie licks Meg into submission!!!

Am going to do lots of research into the whole thing before we take 'the plunge' as it could be difficult to undo if all went wrong. I think my main problem will be introducing a cat into a home with 2 already tight knit cats :confused:

Am thinking of visiting a BSH breeder too- just to get a feel for the type of cat they are. Have never seen one in real life (!) and they look so perfect they just don't look like real cats to me!! Not compared to my 2 bundles of fur!! I just hope I can find a nice kind breeder who will let me pay a visit and hopefully put a word in for a gorgeous lilac female that can play outside :eek::D We will see!!!

Does your siamese go outside? Mine are never in but if anyone tried to steal them they would soon bring them back!!

4. lymorelynn

Staff Member

having lost a young cat on our lane (a single track country lane) to a speeding driver I do not let Mai Tai out unless she is on her harness and lead. She has escaped a couple of times but I do not like her going out. However we have just sold our present house and hope to moving soon and then I will review my decision. She is also registered to breed and I do not want her to become pregnant by any old tom :D so another reason to keep her in.
    I hope you find just the cat you are looking for. BSH are lovely cats - they always look so cuddly :)

5. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

:DThat really is one great thing about our area- we live at the end of a very quiet cul-de-sac and there are hardly any cars. Our cats stick to the back gardens- fences and trees are great fun, who needs to dodge cars??!!!

We are quite lucky also- we work in the day but my Mum comes round my house to cuddle the cats in the day and let them in/out and play with them so they are only on their own for around 6 hours of the day. This is a god send- I don't think i would have any pets if my mum didnt do this. She had her dog put to sleep in 2006 :(:(:( and has never really gotten over it- my cats are the closest she will have to a pet now and she makes the most of them!! :)

6. lymorelynn

Staff Member

lucky kitties and nice for your mum too :) I'm at home all day most days so mine have plenty of company. Not that I see much of Gizmo as he spends most of his day sleeping somewhere in the garden :D He strolls in for breakfast and tea and occasionaly if he feels peckish in the daytime :D otherwise he's asleep.

7. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Just bumping this to hopefully get a few more views x

8. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Awww sounds like you have two lucky cats atm, and a third on the way.

Basically all cats have different personalities, and introducing another cat may go very very differently from last time, and the new cat may well get on with ONE cat more than the other and in fact the entire dynamics could change. I don't want that to sound like I'm trying to put you off, I think you should go for it, the more cats that end up having a loving home, the better IMO.

I have four cats, only one is allowed out, it can be awkward and he only gets to go out because he was an abandonee that was living outdoors and I feel I would be cruel keeping him in now, plus when he is in he FIGHTS with Shmitty! Shmitty is my 7mnth old and the other two cats are nearly 7.

I lost one cat to a car, (not instantly) and had to fight a dog to try and save my other cat but she died at the vets a day afterwards. So mine don't go out now, I have a porch like area made of weld mesh and wood with shelves, decking and scratching logs in it. I can open my patio doors for fresh air and the cats are safe and can go in or out whenever they want to. It's quite new but an absolute godsend to have.

It's very hard keeping cats in, windows and doors opened to a minimum always, shutting interior doors before answering the front door, stopping other people from letting them out. Smells, fresh air, heat etc all make it quite hard.

LOLOL :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice