Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New cat tree

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CharlieChaplin, Aug 25, 2013.

1. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

I want to buy my two a new cat tree - as I worry they get bored being indoor cats and their one seems small.

This one caught my eye:
    Gingerbread XXL Cat Tree | Free P+P on orders £25+ at zooplus!

But then I saw this slightly cheaper version (tho it is smaller):
    Gingerbread House Cat Tree: Free P&P on orders £25 or more at zooplus!

Is the XXL one deigned for the bigger build cats e.g Maine coons etc and the second one for 'normal' sized cats, or for kittens?

I don't want to purchase the cheaper one and be disappointed as it was so much smaller and not designed for adult cats so to speak. But then I don't want to waste my money on the XXL one when it is meant for bigger build cats. Their current tree is just a tad too small I think - even tho they do use it happily.

I have 2 moggies between 4-5kg aged 1 years and 2 months.

2. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

i had the second one, didnt have much look with it, the whole thing fell down and nearly squished them
    i know you can get things to bolt it to the wall however but i found it to wobbly tbh i find most big trees unsafe with my crazy hyper cats, we just have several small ones now

if you're wanting to keep them entertained, get them a lazer lol

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

CC -- the blurb ON ZP says the XXL tree is suitable for larger cats or households with more than one cat. Apart from being slightly bigger than the other cat tree, I would assume it is sturdier and possibly better made. Hopefully maybe the dearer one is covered with a stronger fabric that is more resilient to rips from claws.

I have had 2 large cat trees from ZP, and I paid about £50 on special offer. They are OK, but on mine the *perches* on the poles have got a bit wobbly after a while, and tightening them does not restore the original stability.
    I am probably going to have to replace the trees with new ones next year.

Hopefully the dearer trees would last longer, but perhaps not!

4. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

Attached Files:

5. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

I did see a bit on the review about the wall bolts but I feel that could be a step too far to drill into a wall! But then I don't want it to fall down on them! They aren't that hyper with this one - Charlie sleeps in the house (on the dot at 11am) and Chaplin has taken a liking to the platforms in the evening, but he's going to get too big for them soon! Do you mean a laser pointer? I have one - no luck! Their current tree seems a tad wobbly too!

I presume the pricier one would be studied as it is for 'bigger' cats. But if it wasn't I have wasted £60 for nothing when the cheaper one could have sufficed. And to me £60 is a lot of money. I presume it's bigger for the bigger price tag - but does it necessarily mean better!

Thanks robedha - I have one pretty similar to that up now - It isn't exactly the same there are slight design differences. But they are getting a little big for it now. It is slightly wobbly, but it hasn't phased them.

Willow is gorgeous btw :)

6. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

Thank you. I think so too. Can't believe that a cat so young, friendly and beautiful ended up in the shelter.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect cat tree. I chose mainly on the basis of the reviews. We never had one for the cats at my parents but they had the old pit heaps to explore and plenty of trees to climb there, as well as the many yard walls in the terrace.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice