UK Pet Forums Forum banner
575 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  lorilu 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have a few questions regarding the health of my new cat, Yuyu.

We got her from a farm on Tuesday, where they had way too many cats and nedded people to adopt them. She's apparently around half a year old, underweight and was an outdoor cat.

We took her to the vet on Thursday, where she got a general check-up, vaccines, anti-parasite and deworming medications. The vet didn't seem to find anything wrong apart from her being underweight, she has ear mites and probably a tapeworm (I found a small white worm-like thing on her fur) and she had a very slight fever, which the vet mentioned might've been caused by stress.

Since this is my first time owning an indoor cat, I have some questions.

- She has diarrhea. The vet said it is probably from the parasites/worms and I'm just wondering how long it'll take for it to go away and if it doesn't, when I should go back for a check-up? She's been eating wet food, can that be causing it too?

- She started coughing. She hacked up a hairball on Wednesday, but I caught her coughing twice more since then. I read online that can also be caused by worms? She also sneezed a few times, which might've been caused by the dust, since she was hiding under the bed at first. She hasn't sneezed since Wednesday. She also doesn't have a runny nose or any symptoms of a cold. The Vet didn't seem to find any problems with her breathing or anything else, but should I be concerned anyway? She also has long fur, could this just be caused by her fur?

- Low energy. I'm not too worried about this, but I still want to make sure everything's alright. She spends most of the day and night napping and laying around. I tried playing with her, but she doesn't really react at all. I know this might just be caused by the stress of having moved houses. It could also be because she is quite underweight, so she might lack muscles and energy to play at the moment. She doesn't have problems with walking and she does follow me around the room, so it's not like she has no energy at all, she just doesn't play and is kind of slow. I just want to make sure this, coupled with things mentioned above, isn't really serious.

I normally wouldn't hesitate to take her to a vet, but she had been to one two days ago, so now I don't really know what to do. She has a scheduled appointment next month to get the next dose of vaccines, should I wait until then to see if the symptoms go away or try to get her to the vet ASAP?

It's hard because we just got her, so we can't really tell what is her normal behavior and what not, nor can we really know what is caused by stress from moving.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to get you as much information as possible. Thank you for reading until the end and thanks in advance to those who will respond.

See less See more
#2 ·
The vaccines and de-wormers and flea meds all at once will be making her feel a bit poorly, that is normal.

As long as she is eating I wouldn't worry yet...and yes keep her on the wet diet. So much better for her! 6 months old? Let her eat as much as she wants at each meal.

You could add a probiotic to help settle her tummy. I like s.boulardii specifically for diarrhea, so see if you can find one with that included in the mix.

Reactions: Maruru
#6 ·
I'lI try adding a probiotic to her meals! Thank you for the suggestion:D And yes, I'm keeping her on wet food. Where we got her she mostly ate kibble, so we tried giving her a lityle bit of both to get her used to wet food and she had no trouble switching. She eats really small portions, probably so she doesn't get an upset stomach, so we have been giving her more frequent meals, but in small portions:) Sp far, she's been an amazing eater amd I think she'll get to a healthy weight in no time:D

#3 ·
Do you know whether she has been neutered ? If she has been living with other cats in an outdoor environment there is every chance she could be pregnant . If she is only around 6months old this could be quite dangerous for her not to mention expensive for you if she has problems
Do you know whether the vet checked for a spay scar or early pregnancy signs .
I'm not trying to worry you but it is something to be aware of .
We would love to see some pic's of your new addition

#4 ·
Do you know whether she has been neutered ? If she has been living with other cats in an outdoor environment there is every chance she could be pregnant . If she is only around 6months old this could be quite dangerous for her not to mention expensive for you if she has problems
Do you know whether the vet checked for a spay scar or early pregnancy signs .
I'm not trying to worry you but it is something to be aware of .
We would love to see some pic's of your new addition
Excellent point buffie

Reactions: buffie
#8 ·
Her 'official' name is Yuki, but I've just been calling her Yuyu, since it seems to get her attention better:)
Thank you for the advice anyway. I hadn't even considered the possibility of her being pregnant:0 I'll try to Google a bit amd I'll pay really close attention to her behaviour for any signs until I can get her to the vet for a check-up. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.