Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New cat- noisy breathing in sleep.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ali82, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Ali82

Ali82 PetForums Senior

Hi,

I have had my cat for a couple of weeks now, we picked her up from a rescue centre she is a two year old Siamese. Last night she was making some funny noises in her sleep, like a popping or clicking sound at the end of her breath when she exhaled (it sounded to me like the noise was coming from her mouth / throat not her chest). She was lying in a funny position at the time splayed over my arm is it possible that it was this position that caused it or could it just possibly be her snoring?

She had been to the vets yesterday for a check up and the vet listened to her chest etc (I didn't mention the clicking because last night is the first time i've noticed it), the only thing she noticed was a bit of gingivitis and prescribed some antibiotics.

When I got up this morning her breathing sounded normal and she ate her breakfast (with antibiotic mixed in). Does anybody else's cat ever make this sound? Am I just worrying about nothing?

My other concern is that it could be a reaction to the antibiotic, I'm going to try and get somebody to nip round to check on her whilst I'm at work.

Thank you in advance

Alex

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

It's possible that the antibiotic made her sleep a bit more deeply than usual and resulted in her making unusual noises. Also the strange position she was lying in may have contributed too. If she seemed normal this morning, and was eating ok too, then I wouldn't worry too much. No harm though in asking someone just to check up on her for your own peace of mind.

If it's any help, my Oscar snores like a drain and breathes very heavily when he's in a deep sleep. I can't have him in the same room as me coz it's so bad. I often wonder why Merson isin't sleep deprived because the racket is so bad sometimes!!!! :eek:

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

PS - Welcome to the Pets Forum.

Just noticed that you are a new kid on the block. So welcome to the party and feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are always loads of people willing to help and assist.

Also feel free to put up pics of your new baby. We like piccies around here!!! :D :D

4. Ali82

Ali82 PetForums Senior

Hi, thanks for the response, hopefully I'm worrying for no reason. Like I said we haven't had her long so not really sure what's normal for her. I'll try and get a couple of pictures up this weekend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice