Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New cat mum - advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ToniPea, Dec 28, 2019.

1. ToniPea

ToniPea PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I’d very much appreciate any input or advice you could offer me, thanks in advance.

we adopted our 18 month old male DSH exactly a week ago. He was born a stray but is incredibly friendly and affectionate. His record from the volunteers at the Cats Protection all say the same things pretty much: lovely, sweet, friendly, affectionate, loving.

He came home no problem (on Sat 21st Dec) and was loving, inquisitive, well-behaved and very very greedy.

In the last 3 days his behaviours have changed and I cannot stop worrying.

• He is sleeping a lot (I assume - he’s asleep most of the day, in the same spot on his armchair)
    • He went off his food for a few days, he’s back to eating but much slower. Is refusing all treats including dreamies
    • He seems to tolerate being pet - but only for a short while
    • He seems to like us more in the morning??
    • He will only play for 5 mins a day
    • He won’t come upstairs - it’s like he’s scared to move off the mat
    • He purrs really loudly when I scratch behind his ears - but he will often sit by himself kneading his chair and purr for about 10 minutes - without anyone fussing over him or giving him attention

We took him to the vets yesterday and he was looked over thoroughly. He DOES have conjunctivitis (which we are treating with eye drops twice a day) and he had his second vaccination. He was very brave and calm in the vets except for when he was in the waiting room with two dogs. The vet also noted that he has a very very slight heart murmur (a 1 on a scale of 1-6) but this could be due to the anxiety of the dogs. He didn’t have a heart murmur the last time he saw the vet at the shelter.

I’m mainly worried that he seems to have gone from being really friendly and rubbing up against our legs and wanting attention to barely tolerating us.

We did have some guests over Christmas (a few children too) - so I’m scared I’ve stressed him out too much.

Anyway - if anyone can think of how I can make him happier, or if I need to do anything at all - I would be very grateful.

(I’m a very anxious cat mum!)

Thanks

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Just give him time to get his bearings. it's only been a week and the whole week has been one upheaval after another, not only a new home but including visitors, vets, and vaccinations. He's probably exhausted.

Let him be, don't fuss over him. Talk to him but let him call the shots as far as attention and petting or not (except for his eye drops of course).

Get him on a good routine and meal schedule. If he came from the shelter on kibble I'd recommend you feed him 3 meals a day and plan to gradually transition him to a good rotation of wet foods to keep him healthy (getting rid of the kibble entirely). Forget the treats for now. Just feed him meals.

chillminx and ToniPea like this.
  3. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

When my first cat came home she went from being a very friendly outgoing cat in the cattery to hiding behind the sofa for a week. She was only nine months old and we think she had been mistreated before being dumped at the shelter.

It took a while but she became used to us and was very affectionate - head rubs, leg rubs, following us about.

It’s a big adjustment

lorilu, ToniPea and chillminx like this.
  4. ToniPea

ToniPea PetForums Newbie

Thank you - I think I just needed some reassurance that I’m not doing anything gravely wrong!

he was on wet & dry food at the shelter - we’ve kept his same food and his same litter to keep some consistency for him :)

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice