Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Cat Integration

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by sparky22, Apr 9, 2011.

1. sparky22

sparky22 PetForums Newbie

We got a new cat (male 1yr old neutered, Milo) 2 weeks ago and have followed all the advice, ie separation from existing cat (female 3yrs old spayed, Cassie), scent familiarisation which we thought went pretty well if slowly (Cassie ignored it most of the time, ie walked away from anything with his scent on it). Once she started tolerating the scent, ie no hissing or visual aggression we then went onto next stage, visual familiarisation, which did not go very well. We went back to scent again and after another few days tried visual again with same result, it got a bit worse, her being extremely aggressive, hissing, trying to claw through crack in the door.

Milo has now been kept separate in our spare room for 2 weeks now which I feel is too long. He is very affectionate and I feel bad keeping him locked up but Cassie will just attack him (again). Am happy to keep going with the scent, visual, swapping rooms etc but my worry is Milo being kept in spare room alone for most of the day (we both work) with no company. How long till it is just too cruel should he be shut in one room alone?

2. sparky22

Milo's now been in the spare room for three weeks. Cassie doesn't seem to be bothered by his his scent at all and will even tolerate eating next to him but, as soon as we let them interact, she starts hissing at him and will take a swipe at him. There's been a couple of actual scuffles. We've been separating them when anything like that happens but it just happens again the next time.

Are we trying to push them together too quickly? Maybe we shouldn't let them interact at all after eating and just put him back in his room straight away? Anyone got any suggestions?

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Oh dear :( its very hard when they dont get on we are going through the same thing but a bit different, one of ours was friends with our new kitten but then a few weeks ago decided he did'nt like him :rolleyes:

We have 5 boys & one girl & she often takes a swipe at the others for no reason, trouble maker that she is :lol: have you tried a Feliway?

4. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi..i went through the same thing recently and to be honest..the only thing that got them to the next step was having them together after swapping scents..short visits that gradually grew into longer ones.

I was lucky to have a week off..so i could always monitor them together..there was scuffles..fighting...hissing...now they are the best of friends.

Its different for all cats...but i think the only way they will start getting used to each other...is to have the interaction.

I posted a thread when i got my new kitten and received brilliant support and advice for that first week they were together in the same room...i will go and see what page it is on and post back....its a long read...lots of warbling by me ;)...but you can skip bits ...it may help you feel better.

i used Feliway plug in as well :)

Will be back in a min :)

Kelly xx

5. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi Sparky22...my thread is called "Indy is home with us "....its on page 30
    of cat chat.

Hopefully by reading it..you will realise that the physical interaction will be normal and really try to leave them to get on with it..obviously being there in case they got into a really bad fight...doubtful though...as alot of people told me..if they are really hurting each other ..you would know as the sound is unmistakable !!!!

Hope it helps hun xx

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

They are now well aware of one another. It's time to let them work it out on their own. Cassie needs to exert her dominance and let this interloper know she is Top Cat and she can't do that when the other cat is behind a door.

Let Milo out and just keep a close eye on them. Feliway plug in diffusers can help and at least three litter boxes.

7. ejrogers

ejrogers PetForums Member

Hi,
    We are also about to start this process when we get a new kitten next month, so have been reading posts like this with great interest.
    I wanted to ask though - firstly how should you handle it when you first bring the kitten through the front door? Ie should the existing cat see the new kitten in the carry case or should you somehow sneak the kitten into the house and into its "safe" room without the existing cat seeing?

And secondly when you progress from just scent sharing to visualisation what is the best way to do this? I don't have any glass doors in my house so I'm not sure how best to allow them to see each other but where they can't get to each other..

Thanks

8. Dally Banjo

Hopefully someone else will be able to advise you, Im sure there is a Sticky post about it :confused: we have two large dogs & other cats so we put our new kitten in a huge dog crate with all his gear so he could meet everyone safely & not get squashed by large paws plodding around :rolleyes: he was only in there a week & mainly at night or when we were out :)

9. sparky22

We were following the advice on this site: Integrating Cats. This site is also good The Second Cat

We've now let Milo out now and there's been a lot of chasing, hissing, swiping and posturing but hopefully they'll work things out.

#9 sparky22, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. Dally Banjo

There interesting links, I hope everything settles down soon for you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice