Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New cat hiding, how long?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Stephiib14, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Hi everybody, last night I took in a young cat under pressing circumstances. I'm not entirely sure what to do but I'd very much like to keep her. I however have 2 chihuahuas, one isn't bothered at all by the cat and the other is very curious but growls back when she hisses at him anyway the dogs stay downstairs, I have a gate and I've set kitty up in my bedroom with me, litter tray and food are in my room too because she won't come out... she's been under the bed, she did sleep with me last night and enjoys fuss, but she's very skittish. Is this expected behaviour? She is eating, drinking and using her litter tray, I am just worried she isn't coping with the dogs and the last thing I want is to stress her... my sister doesn't have any pets and wants to take her if she doesn't settle here.

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Yes that is all perfectly normal behaviour following a change of home. It takes 3 days for a cat to understand its moved home, 3 weeks to get used to the people, pets and routines of the new home and 3 months to be fully settled. The best thing you can give her now is time, and hopefully your patience will be rewarded.

Stephiib14 and ewelsh like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice