Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New cat day 2.. Need insight

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by NordicKitten, Apr 2, 2021.

1. NordicKitten

NordicKitten PetForums Newbie

Yesterday I brought home a 3 year old cat from the shelter.

She currently lives under the bed and just seems to be sleeping/resting - She sometimes look at me when I lie on the floor and talk to her.

But, after I went to bed she came out - explored the apartment (It's one room so easy to track), marked everything as hers, (finally) ate and drank, used the litterbox, groomed, even played a little bit.

She even came up to me in bed and demanded attention, cuddles and a few belly rubs, layed on her back and purred like a chopper.

But today we're back at zero.. back under the bed ignoring me. I've moved her food and water out from under the bed - Don't want to make a permanent resident under there - her litterbox is at the other end of the apartment in the restroom.

I'm hoping for a repeat pattern tonight, so I won't be moving the litterbox.

What I don't get are the mixed signals.. The timid, shy kitty at day but a full time charmer at night that wants attention.

Any advice?
    I know this will take time before she hopefully out in the open

ewelsh, Soozi and white_shadow like this.
  2. TiggyOne

TiggyOne PetForums Newbie

It is extremely early days and for the first few days I'd keep any cat but especially a nervous rescue cat confined to one room with the security of her litter tray in sight.

During the daytime she will be adjusting to the sounds of the neighbourhood etc so may not feel as confident.

She may be at increased risk of UTI or other complications if she doesn't feel safe to find her litter tray in the daytime yet... Do consider moving it. This will help her to trust you too.

Lurcherlad and Soozi like this.
  3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Just take things at her pace. Read aloud when you sit in a room with her and let her get used to the sound of your voice. It sounds as if she is already making good progress but don't try to rush her

4. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

I wouldn’t worry. She probably feels more confident at night because it’s quieter. Just give her time.

Soozi and lullabydream like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Sounds like she's doing brilliantly! Just let her adjust at her own pace. She needs to learn that she can trust you, and she learns that by you letting her call the shots. Interact with her during the day by talking to her, using her name a lot and sitting on the floor so she can see you from under the bed.

It's very common for a cat in new surroundings to explore only at night.

Congratulations to you both on finding each other!

Soozi and lullabydream like this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sounds very similiar to my Ivy.. Total novice here. She found her safe space as OHs wardrobe. She was very nocturnal.
    Came out to eat, but did adore it if I, or any human was nearby.

It's been nearly 2 weeks and she's not been in the wardrobe for what seems an eternity. Happy on what actually is a brand new cat tree which she took to very well on the landing. She's out in the open all the time.

I agree with everyone that it's sounds just where she needs to be and it's good she's come for a fuss and allowed lots of touching and she's responded by lying openly on her back, tummy in the air.

Soozi likes this.
  7. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Time... she just needs time to adjust. I always get onto the floor with new cats... don’t know if I’m right but feels better to be at their level.

it’s good she looked for attention and play even if it was at night

good luck with her and well done for taking on a cat from a rescue.

Lurcherlad, Soozi and lullabydream like this.
  8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Bless her! Her behaviour sounds perfectly normal. Her new environment, the sights the smells and sounds are all new to her. She will come round little by little so don’t get despondent. It can take from days to months before they feel totally settled. Good luck but you can’t hurry love! Lol! xxx

lullabydream likes this.
  9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would say completely normal but she also might not change that much, if she is a nervous cat she might always hide at certain times, I have a cat that is very loving and demanding of attention but on average between 9am and 4pm she will hide under a blanket on my bed or duvet if no blanket, but it's her routine and if she's happy then I'm happy, I'm sure your kitty won't be quite as reclusive as mine.

lullabydream and Soozi like this.
  10. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat long lost friend

It might be that in her previous home she only felt safe to come out at night so it will take a little while for her to change her habits.

The fact she has come out and explored and demanded attention is great. I’m sure she will come round and start to trust you as much in the day as at night given time.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  11. Blacky90

Blacky90 PetForums Junior

Sounds like everything is going better than it usually does. Within no time you will be asking how to keep her off your lap.

ewelsh likes this.
  12. NordicKitten

NordicKitten PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for the comments..
    I moved the litterbox as suggested - She haven't used it yet.. I figure she's pee shy, hehe

UPDATE: She (Bast) have been out and about for a good thirty minutes exploring - going a little back and forth between wherever she was and the bed - Mostly triggered by me moving or the downstairs neighbor coughing..
    For now she have settled on one of the dining table chairs hidden under the table cloth.. But she's out and about.

I think the cat tree will be a hit when it arrives and is set up right by the window

SbanR, Lurcherlad, MontyMaude and 5 others like this.
  13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

That’s real progress! My girl Saffy took nearly a week to explore the house. You’re both doing great! X

lullabydream likes this.
  14. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

My first rescue cat, Sammy, lived under my bed for six weeks before she decided I was safe, only venturing out for food and her litter tray when either I wasn't around or at night.

It sounds as if Bast (brilliant name, by the way!) is growing in confidence - it'll all be very new and scary for her. Just keep on talking to her and sitting on the floor.

Sammy finally plucked up courage one Friday night when I was watching the late night horror film, Chinese takeaway on a tray on my knee, glass of wine in one hand. She snuck up behind me and tapped my shoulder with one paw.

As I lived alone, you can imagine that I was more than a little startled. The tray and contents went one way, the wine the other, and she and I were the best of friends from then on in.

I never did like that wallpaper, anyway...

Emmasian, MontyMaude and lullabydream like this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It might, or it might send her back under the bed until she gets used to it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice