UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any1 see watchdog .all new cars dont have a spare wheel, i didnt even notice on ours,just took it for granted.another way to get money out of us,no wonder theyre doing cars cheaper half the b things are missing. just checked my 07 fiesta i got 1, but hubby hasnt on his newby.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Not just Fiats then? Last year son was driving back from Newquay & had a tyre blow on the motorway - there is no spare just a repair kit thing. Wouldn't work for a blow out as the stuff just came out of the hole! Cost him a fortune as they had to join the AA to get towed off the motorway then buy a new tyre at the nearest very expensive place. It was a very hot day and he'd had a big tattoo up his arm the day before - wasn't a happy bunny at all when he got home

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
we had a citroen c4 grand picasso that just had a repair kit...

although we did gave a puncture we were at home at the time... 2 doors away lives a mobile kwik fit man..:)

yet.. the c4 we have now has a spare.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I had a new smart which didn't have now. Now I have a new Mazda... It has a spare wheel but it's a strange temporary wheel not a proper one like the rest.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have never had a car with an actual spare tyre, always a repair kit =/

My last car was a peugeot 206cc with a foam can thing. I bought an RX-8 53 plate 6 months ago and that also has a repair kit but thats probably down to the size of the boot and sporty nature of the car.

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Yes, I saw this last night and was most shocked!!!! :eek: I know they are trying to reduce weight in cars to make them more economical but I think some things should NOT be stinted upon - a spare wheel being one of them!!!

I got a 59 Kia back in June - the first thing I did this morning was check for a spare. Thankfully I have one. <phew>

My little Cedric really IS the business. I LURVE that car............. :001_wub: :001_wub:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
i thought you had to have a spare tyre? obviously not if they're selling them without.
never had a new car so wouldnt know if they come with or not but we've got a spare in our truck xx

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
I am amazed that people haven't looked or checked their spare tyres as my husband checks ours occasionally to see that they are still there and inflated etc and one of the first thing he does when he get a new car is look where it is and to check the tyre and that the tools are there and shows me how to get it out etc. The only strange one I had was on a Mercedes where it had to be flat to fit in the space so it came with a funky little inflater.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yes, I saw this last night and was most shocked!!!! :eek: I know they are trying to reduce weight in cars to make them more economical but I think some things should NOT be stinted upon - a spare wheel being one of them!!!

I got a 59 Kia back in June - the first thing I did this morning was check for a spare. Thankfully I have one. <phew>

My little Cedric really IS the business. I LURVE that car............. :001_wub: :001_wub:
I love that his name is Cedric, my car is called Nigel! :D He isn't a new car (far from it) but most definitely DOES have a spare wheel, a full size one, none of that half size nonsense :p

The only rule around spare wheels as far as I'm aware is if they are present then they must be road legal for MOT purposes, one of those foam repair kits is perfectly acceptable although pointless because they ruin the tyres internally, effectively the repair kit is a can of gunk that plugs the holes :lol: so even if the puncture is repairable you can't repair it, and the space saver wheels are only to be used from the place you changed your wheel to a garage so IMO are pretty pointless too.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Don't have a spare tyre in my car and I'm working hard to get rid of mine around my waist.:rolleyes: it's going but I miss chocolate.:mad:
Apparently my car has run flat tyres?????

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive got a truck tyre,cant give the choc up.shows how old i am when i expect a proper spare in the boot,i would be put off a car with no spare,i dont like the idea of the gunk filling.guess i wont ever have a newbie again.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
i thought you had to have a spare tyre? obviously not if they're selling them without.
never had a new car so wouldnt know if they come with or not but we've got a spare in our truck xx
No legal need to carry a spare tyre - in fact I believe if your spare tyre is bald and the police check your tyres you can be fined if your spare is faulty as there is the potential you could put it on your car - so it's better to carry no spare than a faulty spare.

Our car has one of those temporary spares that just get you home or to the garage - to be fair I've never changed a tyre so I don't suose it makes any difference if I have one or not - that's what the AA are for ;)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I've gotta ford c max and I have the small fake tyre.i looked into buying a proper wheel and tyre for my spare.guess what it dosent fit the space so have to keep the dummy tyre.how annoying is that?

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
ive got a truck tyre,cant give the choc up.shows how old i am when i expect a proper spare in the boot,i would be put off a car with no spare,i dont like the idea of the gunk filling.guess i wont ever have a newbie again.
Most cars come with a space for the spare or mini spare (don't know what they are actually called) you just have to say you want it - it's all to do with being able to keep the weight down so the manufacturers can claim better efficiencies.

·
Super Moderator
18,773 Posts
Don't have a spare tyre in my car and I'm working hard to get rid of mine around my waist.:rolleyes: it's going but I miss chocolate.:mad:
Apparently my car has run flat tyres?????
Hubby's car has run flats too, can only be used for 50 miles though which is a slight problem cos his journey to and from work is far more than that :( just have to limp to the nearest place but thats hard to do in the middle of nowhere :(

When we travelled to France earlier this year, we took a spare tyre with us in the trailer not on a alloy just the tyre itself (I packed stuff in it and around it) in case we needed it. My Winnie only has a space saver tyre and there is no way that could manage the car and the trailer fully loaded, it was a bit belt and braces but we got stung a few years back, needed two new tyres to get us home when only one had gone :( :(

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Most cars come with a space for the spare or mini spare (don't know what they are actually called) you just have to say you want it - it's all to do with being able to keep the weight down so the manufacturers can claim better efficiencies.
I think they are referred to as space saver wheels.

Hubby's new (ish) S-max has a space saver and the space is only big enough for a space saver :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.