Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New car - opinions please (no car know-how needed)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Colette, May 15, 2010.

1. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I'm looking at gettign a new car sometime soon, but can't decide what I want. I'm torn between three....

1) The ford Fiesta Econetic. Nice looking car, super efficient, high mpg and low emissions, therefore very cheap to run. But, most expensive at over £15,000. As far as I can tell I would be paying around 4.9% APR on finance.

2) The Mazda 2. (Diesal version) Not quite so cheap to run but a lot cheaper to buy initially (just over £12,000). Currently available with 0% APR.

3) The Vauxhall Corsa ecoflex version. Pretty efficient, and would be fairly cheap to buy as I get a discount. Certainly cheaper than the ford.

Now - the Fiesta is in many ways my favourite - I like the car, and I love thje efficiency, but I don't want to be robbed blind for it!
    I like the mazde (have been looking at these for a while), and the diesal isn't too bad.
    The corsa would be be good in terms of both purchase price and efficiency but just one problem - I don't like corsas! I'm sorry, I don't know why but I just don't like them. I know they're the smart option for me, but eugh.

Any suggestions?

2. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

is this a first car?

i had acorsa and loved it. cheap to run and for parts etc too...

i have ahonda civic now and costs me a bomb to run. (1.4)

so the corsa gets my vote :D (in black :D )

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Ford...cheap parts...nice to run...hardy little cars and nippy x

4. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

You can get the ford for less...be cheeky and ask for deal! Car salespeople will probably be quite happy to arrange a deal for you in order to get a sale!

5. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

This will be my third car. First was bought for me when I passed my test - a Vauxhall agila. When I erm, wrote that one off, I replaced it with another Agila.

I loved the agila, despite looking like a phone box on wheels, it is comfy to drive, has great visibility, and is a real tardis with loads of room inside, but tiny on the outside.

Sadly, my little one is now 10 years old, well over 100,000 on the clock, and is dying a slow and painful death (I mean I worry every day about breaking down on the M25, there is so much wrong with it).

I've decided to go new rather than second hand because I specifically want something efficient and cheap to run, and because I want the warranty etc. And what the hell I want a new one damn it!

My mum has had corsas for years, and I did have one for two weeks between my two cars, but I can't help it they just don't do it for me. Although as I say, they would be the most cost effective for me overall - and I also get said discount on parts.

I did look at the new Agila, but as soon as I got inside one I knew it wasn't right - again, just didn't like it. (OH said I actually grimaced!)

Having never bought a new car, I don't really know what I'm doing. I certainly don't plan on paying the full price advertised on their website, but can you still get finance is you get them to drop the price?
    I was planning on going to a few showrooms and playing them off against eachother. Still no idea how much of a reduction I could expect though.

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Fiat grande punto 5 door cars are gooduns!! xx

8. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

I have just had a mini cooper s and I love it :)

9. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I would go for the Fiesta.... I love the shape of them, Corsa would be last choice i'm afraid! I hate 'em.

I drive a Brava, and I love it! :D I'm a sucker for cheap and cheerful cars, last car was a Renault Clio! I loved it to bits! quite literally to bits, we ended up driving her to the scrapyard! it was a complete heap lol

I didn't set out to get a Brava, it was given to me by Jon's boss... They are mechanics, and some guy with more money than sense bought a new car, and asked Jon's boss if he wanted the Brava, who said yes and gave it to me :D T&T'd as well, all it needed was a new exhaust, front brakes and two new tyres.

10. rona

rona Guest

A one year old car would be better and cheaper. Won't lose £2000 off the price as soon as it hits the road.
    Make the Fiesta cheaper :thumbup:

11. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Personally I would go for the Mazda purely because I don't love Ford/Vauxhall. I would have a Ford over a Vauxhall any day of the week though!

Brand new things do cost a bomb, have you seen you can get a 3 year old Mazda RX8 for about £10,000 or less? My Uncle bought a 56 plate Porsche Boxster S for £26,000 I think it was. He could afford new but he just didn't want to pay that much and lose it over the first couple years.

Of course if you want the novelty of knowing its brand new that's different :D

There are a lot of corsas about and I assume you are on about the new one? I'm friends with the son of the chap who owns our local Vauxhall and I wouldn't advise a corsa on the basis of how many they've had back in with problems, but saying that my instructor has had hers 6 months now and hasn't had to take it back for anything. I've just wary of vauxhall's as when the parts go they really seem to go. My friend's signum whilst a very nice car proved to be a death trap and what with the problems with the first corsa I learnt to drive in I'm just too wary of Vauxhall overall :(

#11 GoldenShadow, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  12. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I would go for the mazda, they are good cars. Made well. To be fare though i think all three are good. But i still think i would sway towards the mazda, then the ford then the vauxhall. Just going on how well i think they are built and parts ect.

:)

13. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

You must barter with the salesmen (my other half is a salesman for Jaguar if you want a Jag :lol: :lol: ) and they will lower it for you. In this climate it is more important to sell a car and make a little bit of money than not sell a car at all. You can still get finance if they lower the price. Personally, I would go with the Corsa. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice