Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Bunny Advice :)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Nala19, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Nala19

Nala19 PetForums Newbie

Hiya

My partner finally caved in and got me a little bunny, shes a 12 week old lionhead cross. I have owned rabbits in the past but they have been more of a family pet rather than my own pet. Our rabbit tigger lived until he was 8, he was a free lance bunny meaning he had the run of the garden (even though he had a hutch he never went in it) and the run of the house, he use to lay with our dogs in their bed lol never scratched or chewed a thing in the house, we was very lucky to have such a sweetie of a bunny! My mum use to feed him hay pellets but he also had toast for breakfast, biscuits, weetabix, a number of greens, lettuce.. the vet always said he was ok whenever we took him..
    Now i have moved out and have my own bunny i done some research before and to my horror read that none of the above should be fed to them! Also the internet contradicts what i should be feeding her, her behavior, where she should be kept, if i should have 2 bunnies...... so many websites say different things and Im not sure im doing best by her.. Im a worrier by nature anyway, although i do have a tortoise and have kept him alive and healthy for 10 years!

What things can i feed her at 12 weeks old? Apparently i can only feed her pellets and hay for the next 2 weeks? no toys or treats? I feel bad giving her the same food day in day out..

Also i have only had her 3 days, she has a double hutch with a litter tray, a hay bale and a giant tube in, I am buying her a run at the weekend as she needs her jabs first which she is due to have next saturday. Is there a specific run she should have as i read chicken wire is the safest material to be used for one... I will take her into my home eventually for some exercise in the living room where i can keep an eye on her. is this advisable to do if so when can i introduce her to my home? She seems friendly but was told not to handle her for a few days to let her settle in. I go out every morning at 5:30 for 30/40 minutes and talk to her while i drink my coffee (my partner thinks im mad lol) and when im home from work i sit and talk to her again, putting my hand on the cage letting her sniff me, i did open the cage and put my hand in yesterday and it didnt really faze her, she let me stroke her and then nudged me, whenever i go to her cage she comes to the front and pushes her nose to the front, she likes to stand upright to look around too.. I hope shes not bored being stuck in there for the time being until her jabs! How often should i handle her? i dont want to over do it and frighten her too much..

Should i have got 2 bunnies? She was the only girl left in the shop, i had seen her the week before and fell in love but my partner said no to having another pet.. a week later i get home from work and shes there, my partner had surprised me with her.. Should he have got her a friend or will she be ok on her own? my tigger was a loner but he loved life getting all the attention! We both work and i worry when im at work if shes ok at home, shes kept in the garden however we have a full hutch cover that i leave on during the day to stop any cats possibly entering the garden and scaring her, she can see out of it as its a clear plastic with breathable holes in.. is this ok? i can upload pictures.

sorry in advance for the extremely long email! I just want to provide her with a great life! Any advice would be great and thank you for being patient with me!

2. Nala19

Nala19 PetForums Newbie

also if anyone has any toys that they would recommend i buy that would also be helpful :)

#2 Nala19, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think they should be kept in pairs.

4. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Aww she SO cute :)

Rabbits are highly social animals so as @Lurcherlad says she will really benefit from company of her own kind. As for feeding its a long time since we have had rabbits but I would suggest feeding her on a high quality complete food such as Supreme Science Selective (I'm sure this is what my Niece feeds theirs on) And I found this feeding pyramid for you. Hopefully someone a lot more rabbit savvy will see your post & offer you good advice.

upload_2017-6-30_16-52-20.png

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Nala19

Nala19 PetForums Newbie

It's such a shame as now I've had her a few days I would have to introduce them slowly which means buying another hutch etc? Although I just read that keeping them outside is a no no? I won't leave her locked up in a cage, she will have an outside run & I will bring her into the house too so she can exercise.. thank you, I think so too :) and thank you for your informative diagram.. I did give her 4 small leafy greens this evening & she loved them.. I will give again in a few days.. she seems quite content to me.. I was standing talking to her & she flopped down like a dog :)

Attached Files:

noushka05 likes this.
  6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

If you get another baby of a similar age they should get along fine without having to introduce them gradually. Its always best to get a rabbit from a rescue or a reputable breeder rather than a pet shop or a back yard breeder. This should also minimise any risk of passing something nasty onto your bunny & you should be ok to put them together without quarantining. So long as she has lots of space & gets lots of attention she should be fine outside. My Niece also feeds herbs such as parsley - it seems to be a favourite.

She's really lovely. We used to have a harlequin dwarf lop called Bandit - he was such a sweet natured boy. What do you call yours? :)

7. Nala19

Nala19 PetForums Newbie

N
    Oh really? Even though she seems to have settled or is settling ok in her home, will this not unsettle her? I must admit we did just try to handle her to bring her indoors & while she was happy to come up to us, seemed relaxed and take food from our hands when trying to pick her up she escaped from our hands! We tried for around 15 minutes but decided not to scare her & will try again tomorrow.. oh I have been out every morning & evening with her, she seems to respond to my voice, I talk to her a lot.. she's only 12 weeks so apparently I am not allowed to feed her anything but pellets and hay at the moment but I've got my shopping list at the ready for her.. her name is Nala, from the film lion king, it's my favourite.. plus I thought it was fitting seeing as she's part lionhead :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice