Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new build...massive delays...where do I stand?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rhiannon, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

hi guys,

as you probably know from previous threads Ive been waiting for my new build house to finish being built.
    We bought it and paid our reservation fee last year and paid the deposit on it before xmas. we were then told the house would be finished and ready to move in by late april, one of the reasons why we bought it in the first place.
    then, for one reason or another, it got pushed back to may, then june, then august and finally beginning Sept. Now weve just been told it will be end of Sept / beginning Oct.:cursing:
    they only started to build anything at the end of April (at the same time as our neighbour bought theirs as it is a semi)
    they say we dont have any rights as all the delays are justifiable, i.e. adverse weather, contractors going bust and having to put in pile foundations.:eek:hmy:
    I just got a phone call today from the mortgage advisor who said our mortgage offer (that has already expired once) will expire by mid sept and the only other package available will raise the cost by an extra 3%!!!!!!!
    Sorry to ramble on but the whole process is sooooo complicated......I just need to know if anyone has delt with this before and what can we do?????

2. Rhiannon

any one????? opinions welcome!!!

3. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about all your problems. What has your solicitor said about the delays? If its going to cost you more money could you "threaten" the builders with suing them for the additional costs if they don't complete before the mortgage period expires?

4. Rhiannon

unfortunatly, one of the terms of the purchase was they gave us their appointed solicitor who seems to be a bit rubbish. the builders say the delays were all legitamate.
    really has upset us now, as our present motgage on the house we're in now also expires and if it doesnt change to a landlords mortgage before it expires it too will shoot up. (we have to rent the house we're in as we cant sell it)
    They just seem to have an answer for everything but everyones amazed that its gone on for this long and are disgusted.

5. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Thats not good. Have you tried speaking to your local CAB to get some advice to see where you stand?

6. Rhiannon

the probloem we've got is that the crafty little sods have never put an actual date of completion down on paper

7. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Sounds like you definately need some legal advice here. Or contact your local newspaper to get the point over - it can't just be you that this is affecting. If this is made public they may get the boot up the a**e they need.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice