Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New budgies. Sore eye.

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Laura Rowsell, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Laura Rowsell

Laura Rowsell PetForums Newbie

Hello. I am new here and new to budgie ownership. I got my birds, 2 males, on Friday. They were both fine and appeared healthy when I first got them home. On Saturday I noticed on of the had a sore eye, it appears to have got a bit worse today and I think it must be bothering him as he keeps rubbing it on the perch and seed stick or scratching it with his foot. I’ve been bathing it with warm salt water. I also noticed yesterday he had quite a messy vent....I put this down to the stress of the new situation?
    He is quite alert but is pretty quiet and I’ve not yet seen him eat or drink and he doesn’t move about much, the other one however is hopping about, chirping, eating and drinking.

His eye is pretty much closed most of the time and appears to have no feathers around it.
    Should I take him to a vet tomorrow do you think? Will he be ok or does it look serious?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jane65

Jane65 PetForums Newbie

I would definitely take him to the vet Laura if he was mine as I don’t like second guessing what these things could be. He needs his eye looked at and checking to see if there’s any cause such as infection (for both his eye and digestion). I wouldn’t put salt water near his eye as it might sting if any gets on the eye.

You are right that stress could be the cause of his mucky vent. I always cover the cage on 3 sides for at least a few days when I get a new bird. It helps them feel secure whilst getting used to their new environment. Do you have an avian vet near to you?

3. Jane65

Jane65 PetForums Newbie

By the way the vet might want to check both over so let them know you have 2 budgies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice