Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New breeding queen ??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cat_Crazy, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Hi again everyone!

Cannot believe that I have just joined this forum it's slowly becoming my bible!

Anyway latest question.

Most of you know about the very sad situation with my little princess Nala losing her babies and I have been chatting with my OH, or more I spoke and spoke and they tried to listen :)

Anyway we were planning on getting a second breeding queen in a month or two but have decided that due to recent circumstances I deserve some cheering up and we would like to start the process of getting one.

Anyway I have hit a bit of a brick wall as all breeders that I have contacted are not willing to sell on the active list, I fully understand reasons for doing so but it's so hard to convince someone that you are genuine sometimes.

My current female is on the active and that breeder is currently mentoring me. We have an agreement where I use her stud to breed my female and I do not sell any kittens on active which I am quite happy to agree to.

I would ask the same breeder about another kitten but she is not breeding for a while due to personal circumstances which is why I managed to get my queen now.

Anyone have any advice on the best way to approach this.
    I am planning on taking my queen to the Birman Cat Club Show in November so is it best to speak to breeders then or will they be just as wary of me being new to the cat scene?

Even better does anyone have a breeding potential Birman kitten looking for a loving home???

I am quite willing to travel and as I volunteered for the RSPCA for many years have LOTS of experiance with cats, kittens and pregnant mums etc.

Thanks for you help.

2. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i know its kinda unrelated to the thread but did you ever get to go and see the solid ragdoll? and I would recommend asking the person you got Nala from if she has any recommendations or knows of a reputable breeder

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Ellie

Yes I did but they were not really what I was looking for and I was a little suspicious of the breeder so decided not to go with it.

I have asked the breeder who I purchased Nala from but she is not really conected in the show circle so cannot advise unfortunately.

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

ahh ok best of luck with the search and am glad Nala is feeling a little better now too

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

This business of refusing to let any newcomers in really bugs me. Try advertising on pets4homes and preloved.

Liz

6. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Go to one or two shows and introduce yourself to the breeder/exhibitors there, most of them are happy to talk about their cats and give advice and it is generally the best way of finding out whose cats are constantly winning on the show bench as regarding type - very important if you are going to be breeding for show yourself.

Depending on breed most breeders will only sell a cat on active to people that they know through showing - it can be quite a small group and therefore might be a little more selective than others.
    I would suggest entering your cat into a few shows and see how she compares to the others, if she starts winning regularly you will find it will be the other breeders that are keen to approach you.;)

#6 Angeli, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  7. Alansw8

Alansw8 PetForums Senior

Well said Liz

I said something to a stud owner the other week something about brown noses with each other. I wonder why they didnt reply to that, PMSL , as i just said i was finding it hard to find a stud ( which i wasnt but) and also saw them at the lancashire show and found them to be Phoney as Hell.

They just have to remember we all start off new in the beginning so all help is greatly received.

I also found out that this particular stud owner had another breed of cat who she couldnt find any 1 what was willing to let her use their stud cat so i found it highly amusing so it may hit home to them to be more receptive.:):)

Good luck on finding a suitable breeding quuen as i am sure you will find one soon :):)

8. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

We know what goes on in showing circles - but I always try to be positive. ;) Dont want to frighten anyone before they've even started. :D

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Liz- I agree that a lot of breeders make it difficult for anyone to start up which seems silly as they were in the same position at one point.

I understand that you won't just sell an active female to anyone and I spent several months with the breeder Nala came from discussing everything cat related you could think possible and recieving lots of helpful guidence.

I was actually on a kitten waiting list when her breeder had to stop breeding for a short time and so re-homed / neutered her queens.

After building up such a good relationship with her I was lucky enough to be offered first pick and hence Nala came to me at 6 months old.

I only wish now that I had of bought two then but I was quite keen on a tabby point as well so thought I would look for one at a later date.

Angeli - I am actually going to the Chester cat show in 3 weeks time just for a nosy and to get a feel for things so maybe I will bump into someone then and get some luck.

Nala is attending her first show in November so hopefully she will do well.
    She is a beautiful cat although I am very biased and was originally kept as a show potential by her breeder before her circumstances changed.

10. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hi there,

I am/was in the same position as you. I have found that by contacting people via email, telling them a bit about myself my love for Ragdolls, what I plan to do in the future etc. and I have to say no-one has yet refused me a kitten.

I have been offered Studs, Queens uses of Stud services. I would look for websites, check if you like their cats, see if their house is clean inthe pictures (that might be just mke who does this) etc and get in touch. I am collecting my first (proper - Misty is not registered) breeding queen this week!!!

Best of luck.

Speak to Spid she has lovely Birmans, although they are sold, she may know of someone.

Oh :idea: if you want to PM me the lady I am getting my girl from also breeds Birmans.

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Ha ha MM, I was just about to say that. I'll PM you CC.

12. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice everyone I will certainly follow the tips you have given.

Mellow it will not let me PM you but I would be interested to know if your breeder is reasonable distance from me.

Rebecca

13. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

She is in Yorkshire. It's a fair distance from me but worth every mile. :D

I need to sort my PM out. Some people can PM me some cannot ? I will have a wee look.

14. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Well I took your advice and sent a few emails to breeders and fingers crossed I might have something lined up!!

The lady I spoke to has a chocolate tabby available who is show / breed quality BUT someone is coming to see her this week.

IF they don't reserve her then she's mine!!

Fingers crossed now that they decide to choose another kitten.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice