Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new born puppies and mum

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by tiggerminx, Apr 13, 2011.

1. tiggerminx

tiggerminx PetForums Junior

I have recently breed my two Yorkshire terriers and the bitch has 2 pups (she did have 3 but one died at birth) and just looking for some helpful advice. just to add this is my first time at breeding so learning new things all the time.

The vets delivered the two pups the bitch has now (because the first pup died i didn't wanna risk the others being dead too) but we do not know the weight of the pups when they were born, is this something worth asking the vets? As we don't know the weight of the pups we weighed them that night (Monday), the girl weighed 72g and the boy weight 113g. She only started feeding off the mum yesterday so we left her to it for 3 feeds and have been feeding her formula (whelpi) the rest of the time but last night she lost 3g and went to 69g, (the boy is putting on weight (he's now 116g)). We weighed her again this morning and she's now 70g (an hour after last feed). How long should we leave it before contacting the vets regarding her weight gain (or lack of)?

Also the bitch has started to leave the pups in the whelping box for a few seconds but about 2 hours ago, she has been panting and digging while away from her pups, we were wondering if this has something to do with the first pup dying?

#1 tiggerminx, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Take it your vet checked there was no more there ;) and that the three afterbirths were present and correct. Was it a c section or just a normal aided birth

3. tiggerminx

Thanks for replying. Yeah, the report we had back from the vets said all placentas were passed and checked for no more pups. It was a natural aided birth but the vet gave her an Oxytocin-S Injection to speed it along.

4. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Strange as her actions would lead you to believe there was something else there, will consult my oracle now and see what she comes up with ;)

5. Rache

Rache PetForums Senior

Bitches can carry on digging and panting for quite a few days after they have delivered. It's believed it ca be from the discomfort of her uterus shrinking back to the normal size.

I'd be quite worried about the smaller pup. Put the bigger pup onto the back teats to get the milk flowing then put him on another and put the smaller one on the teat you took him off. You need to make sure she's warm and docent get dehydrated. If it was me I would also top her up.

I'm not overly exPerienced in this. I'm sure someone else will be along to hElp.

6. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

i was weighing our pups once a day the same time every morning as it gives you an idea rather than ever few hours.

Do like the post above me says get the big pup to start pulling milk through on a back teat move hima nd put smaller pup on there as the back teats have the most fmilk flow and its higher in all the things the pups need.

Also if you can top her up.

On top I would phone the vetsd and find out what her weight was and see if she has gained or lost from it. It may be worth taking her down to the vets for a check up as puppies do go down hill fast.

Good luck and welcome to PF x

7. tiggerminx

Thanks for the advice. We had a look on the Internet and the weight of the smaller pup seems about right for a small yorkie at birth but yeah we are quite worried about her. I'm not sure we could cope with losing another pup. I'll phone the vets today and see what they say about the weights, etc and will ask to take them in if necessary

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

fingers crossed the smaller pup starts to gain weight soon, keep us posted.xx:)

9. tiggerminx

Quick update, phoned the vets and they said the boy sounds fine but it's likely that he's getting all the best milk and the girl is being left with the dregs. They've suggested to keep feeding the girl formula and trying to get her on the back teets as well so can anyone advise whether this is a good idea:

Feed the girl from mums teets every 2 hours and then feed her formula evey 2 hours (alternate hours) so she's getting some milk every hour.

Thanks

10. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Best milk is always at the back so yep go along with that one, has she stopped digging now ? Hard to try to judge when you cant see them, sorry I didnt get back to you earlier but had an emergency here with one of my own :eek:

11. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I was going to say, my eldest bitch dug for quite a few days after on both her litters - vet said this was completely normal for the reasons you mention.

Another reason why you have to be with mum and pups particularly in the early stages - as the digging can be quite ferocious at times :rolleyes::

Hope the little one continues to thrive - I can't really comment on the weights having a much bigger breed - and them being in grams!! - but I've had pups nearly double the size of others at birth and they've all gone on to thrive and develop normally - she just may need a helping hand with where she goes to get mum's milk ;)

12. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

spot on..............she'll soon catch up if you take the above advice.

some of mine have dug up days after , you'll need to keep an eye on her when she does it . weight wise I'm like S no idea i only do ounces. all the best x

13. tiggerminx

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I'm just so worried about losing our two pups. If she doesn't start gaining weight (or if she loses weight) by tomorrow we'll be straight down to the vets. Is there stuff the vet can give her to help her put weight on?

14. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

Personally if they were my pups id rather be putting the little one on the mothers back teats to drink more frequently(perhaps every hour if necessary) rather than alternating with supplement milk.The more pups suck off mum the more milk she will produce,and vise versa the less they suck the less she will produce. Supplementing is good when it’s absolutely necessary/only option, but there is always a risk of over feeding,risk of milk getting into the lungs, and everything has to be sterile so you dont introduce any infection.imo mums milk is always best,supplimenting would be a last resort for me.

15. tiggerminx

Thanks for your reply. This would be our preferred method. At the moment (for the past few hours), we have been feeding her on mums back teats one hour, then giving her 1ml of formula the next hour and so on. It's a struggle getting her to take the formula as she puts up a good fight but once she starts taking it, she's ok. She's not gained any weight yet since doing this but I guess it'll take a while to work through (I'm just a nervous first timer I suppose).

If we go with the above method of feeding more regularly on mums back teats instead of formula, how do we know that she's getting enough milk? At the moment, she'll suck for so long and then just lie there and stop sucking. Is that a sign that they're full or a sign that there's no milk left?

Thanks again, we really appreciate all your guys input...so much more helpful than another forum we were on.

16. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Sorry i dont know anything about breeding but good luck with little ones :)

17. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

Is the little pup actively looking for her mums teats and feeding on her own at all, or is she only feeding when you put her on. Does she behave in much the same way as the other pup apart from the fact that she’s smaller?
    Providing the pup isn’t noticeable weak, if she has a full tummy after suckling she should be quiet and sleeping, sometimes twitching. If she wasn’t getting enough milk she would probably constantly be making a lot of squeaky/moaning noises.

18. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

OK - it's quite normal for pups to lose a few ounces directly after birth or not gain anything for the first few days - roughly speaking pups that are doing well should double their birth weight in a week .

Personally I would'nt rush to 'top up' unless there is a drastic weight loss or unless mum is producing very little milk -place the smaller pup on the back teats as often as she will suckle ( this will probably
    mean more than once an hour ) - if she has difficulty establishing a good milk flow then put the stronger pup on first then swap the pups over so that she gets the most milk .

If she feels warm, is quiet, sleepy, and making a quiet murmuring sound most of the time then she'll be doing fine - i know it's hard not to worry when it's your first litter and especially when you've already lost a pup at birth but I'm sure she'll start to gain weight soon .

good luck with the new family :)

19. tiggerminx

She does actively look for the teats occassionally but not all of the time but when she does, she can't get to it (there's only one teat that both pups seem to suckle from and she can't quite reach it because of her size). Other than the feeding, she acts exactly the same as the bigger pup. She definately doesn't feel weak (as I said earlier, she puts up a good fight when we try to feed her lol). The only times she makes squeaky/moaning noises is when we're trying to feed her with the syringe/tube and when she's upside down or looking for mum.

Thanks again for all your help and support.

#19 tiggerminx, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  20. tiggerminx

Also, could the fact that the little pup is resisting when we try to hand feed her mean that she's full? Just don't want to do anything wrong.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice