Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New born kittens urgent advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by coonie girl, May 13, 2010.

1. coonie girl

coonie girl PetForums Junior

Hi every one, my maine coon girl had a litter of 5 yesterday, all kittens apart from 1 is very tiny when born she weighed 2 1/4 oz and now she is down to
    2 oz she seems to be feeding from mum all the time, i know she has milk has i have expressed some to make sure. the problem is she is so small i am scared of hurting her if i try to feed her she is very feisty and seems lively enough. could i try her on my other queen she has a litter of 9 week olds and are eating more than nursing she has plent of milk. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jenny

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Hi Jenny it could be faiding kitten syndrome, im sure your doing all you can, I hope the little baby pulls through. Im not sure about the other queen as i think the milk changes through the stages, i could be wrong, maybe someone will be along to help.

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Are they warm enough, no draughts ? Have you checked inside the mouth for cleft palate ? Little hole top of mouth ?

I don't think put her on the other girl would help to be honest, is she/he feeding okay ? They do loose a little weight on the first day but then it should balance out. Is she/he weaker ? She may just be taking time to catch up.

#3 Milly22, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
    DKDREAM likes this.
  4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't try her with the 9 week old litter's mum. In desperation, some years ago I tried something very similar. The surrogate Mum wasn't too sure about it - not aggressive, allowed the kitten to suckle but a bit uneasy about it nonetheless. It became apparent that, after 36 hours, it really wasn't going to work and I had to return the kitten to its own mum who then was none too keen on taking back a kitten that she didn't then recognise, scent wise.

Even though your baby is tiny, try not to worry; they're susceptible, yes, as newborns, but they're not quite so fragile as they look. You've said her mum has plenty of milk, you've seen the kitten feeding so I'd just keep a *very* close eye to ensure that both continue to be the case and weigh her twice a day, same time each day. Newborns, just as with human babies, can sometimes lose a few grams in the first 24 hours - it's not necessarily doom and gloom, just needs a very close eye. You could always top her up with a bit of hand feeding for a couple of days as she's smaller until she catches up with the others a little.

5. coonie girl

Hi yes i have looked for cleft palate and they look ok,l she is feeding from mum now but her belly never seems to look round and packed like the others, she does not cry and she seems quit content.

Jenny

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Like gskinner said keep an eye on her but if she is not crying and is feeding she may just be taking her time to catch up. Keep an eye on her. x

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

can you weigh her before putting her to mum and then weigh her again after? to see how much she has taken?

If she doesnt make a good gain soon i would be thinking of supplementing.

8. coonie girl

That what stopped me from trying her with my other queen, Just worried i will get milk in her lungs.

Jenny

9. coonie girl

Thats what i have been doing she weighed 2 1/4 oz this morning and i have just weighed her againe and she weighed 2 oz even though she has been feeding most of the day.

Jenny

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice