Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Border terrier pup

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Peter.d., Jun 30, 2020.

1. Peter.d.

Peter.d. PetForums Newbie

Hi. Just after some info or help please. I bought a Border pup at 8 weeks old I have had it for just over a week it was fine at 1st but now its settling in it's starting to become a bit of a pain. I know the pups play bite and chew most things in reach. I have bought it chew toys and dentastix these have worked to some extent but it now seems to be getting aggressive it turns and tries to bite when we pick it up and also bites my sons feet and legs. I have tried distracting it with chew toys but it's starting to wear me out. I am feeding it Harrington's pup food. Thanks for any advice.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

This is normal puppy behaviour he’s not aggressive he’s playing. Ideally you don’t want to pick puppy up. Try and redirect with a toy or leave the room for a couple of minutes. Border terriers are high energy dogs. I would be looking at booking into some training classes.

Duggee, margy, caterpiller and 3 others like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Two things come to mind - he or she (”it” doesn't tell us) may not like being picked up. I appreciate for a small dog there will be times when you might need to lift him into a car or on to the vet's table so it is important to get him used to it, but it isn't a great idea to randomly pick him up, especially if he is doing something else.

The other possibility is that he sees this as just an extension of the boisterous play he had with his littermates but he needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

4. Peter.d.

Sorry I forgot to say it's a boy. I have a rope toy I use with him and some old plastic cartons he enjoys chewing. I have also made a pen to put him in when he gets over excited to have a time out. He is booked into see the vet on Friday for his other 2nd vaccinations so i am hoping when we can start walking him he will calm down a bit. He also get the zoomies which are also normal I have been told when he passes you he will nip anyone near him.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yep the zoomies are very normal you have a little bit longer to go I’m afraid ! Have you tried a stuffed kong or a chilled carrot used to calm my boy when he was going nuts. Try and get a good routine going.

6. Peter.d.

I will try the chilled carrot tonight thanks. What do you put in the Kong out of curiosity. The routine at the moment is. He goes to bed (crate ) at around 11.30pm I am up for work at around 5am and let him in the garden to do a poo and we. He is getting there with the toilet training just has a few wee's around the living room but only poo's outside. He is the fed at 7am then play time and a nap. Then fed again at 1 PM then another play time and fed again at 7pm he goes outside after every meal and nap till he goes the toilet. He is currently on a 100g of dry Harrington's food per day and a few treats when we are teaching him sit and when he has been good. If anyone has any ideas or modifications to this I am open to suggestions. Thanks

7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Kongs you can put anything in I feed raw so put their meat in then a layer of cheese and doggy peanut butter. You can do mushed banana kong doggy paste. I freeze it for an hour. My boxer was a lunatic as a puppy. Training class are great as it will help use pups brain from what I know border terriers are quite intelligent. Oh and puppy pictures are a must on this forum :D

8. Peter.d.

Thanks for all the advise I really want it to work out it's just a lot more work than I expected its easier bringing up kids. I will get a kong tomorrow and try It. Here's a pic taken today pre zoomie. Resized_20200630_154909.jpg

9. Peter.d.

Oh and the flowers in the background all had heads on till the other day that's another game he plays. He will grab the flower heads and sprint off eating them before you can get to him.

lullabydream likes this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Super cute puppies are a lot of hard work but at the end you end up with a best friend. My pup loves digging holes in the garden. Eyes in the back of your head.

11. Peter.d.

He loves that as well I have had to do more puppy proofing wire mesh etc so he cant get on the neighbour's.

Boxer123 likes this.
  12. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Something else to note is that he's a terrier. They are bred to hunt and dig for, grab, bite and kill small furry creatures! Try hiding his food in a cardboard box with some newspaper rolled up so he has to "dig" in the box for his food. Or if he has a favourite squeaky toy hide it in a room and get him to find it. Start easy with these games then build up the difficulty as he gets better at it. Much better to give him an appropriate outlet for his terrier needs (and yes, they are needs not just wants) rather than allowing him to choose his own games! (like eating your flowers and digging up your garden!) You could even get him a paddling pool and put soil or sand in it for him to dig in and encourage him to dog there rather than your flowerbeds.
    Terriers are bitey little buggers (as are all puppies) but they do grow out of it as they get older. Although killing toys will be their fave past time.

Torin., The Wild Bunch, rona and 2 others like this.
  13. Peter.d.

He loves chewing the nose off his teddy hedgehog. The pool is a good idea I will get him one as is the hiding food in a box I will try that as well thanks for your advise it's much appreciated.

rona and lullabydream like this.
  14. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Exceptional ankle biters as puppies in my opinion terriers are.. Once you have left the room to ignore this for a few months shaking them off as you do, thrown away plenty of trousers/jeans with holes in the legs from them holding on for dear life they turn in to cracking dogs that have a lust for life and bring a smile to your face every day!

Sarah H likes this.
  15. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Terriers are cracking dogs. We have a cairn. It has to be said though, that they aren't for everybody. If you're precious about your lawn, you could be in for some upset, our girl loves to dig and 'helps' my digging up whatever she can :rolleyes::)
    Terriers tend to have a very strong prey drive too so it's not advisable to let them off lead. I know of many borders in particular who have caught a scent and gone to ground.
    The biting will ease off but it's always a good idea to teach puppy to be gentle with his mouth especially when taking treats from you. Adult teeth can do some damage.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I love terriers. Heidi is a Westie x Jack. 11 years old and a work in progress but a delightful one.
    I know her quirks and ways and can read her like a book. Unfortunately, it works both ways;).
    I have to be mindful of my moods and body language in certain situations.

Something that springs to mind is the tugging rope. If he likes playing with it you can use it to your advantage.
    Practice gently teaching him to start and stop playing with it. Lots of treats/praise. Calmly at first. Gradually build the play intensity, starting and stopping. Make it great fun. Perhaps a favourite treat only used with tuggy.
    It will get his brain working, exercise those jaws, great fir teething and tire him out(briefly).
    If it works, you’ll be able to use tuggy to distract from undesired behaviour but will need to keep it super exciting.

17. Peter.d.

Thanks for all the advice. I have ordered a small sand pit for him to dig in I have just got him a small kong with the peanut butter which seems to be keeping him occupied. I will try and tire him out with the rope later on. Again thanks for all the info I just want to keep him busy so it's easy for us as well as him.

Torin. and Sarah H like this.
  18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF

I'm not a lover of Dentastix, Dillon got one stuck in his mouth, it stuck his teeth together it took ages to unstick ( is that a word:D) him.

You could get some old tea towels rip into strips tie a couple of knots in them, wet and freeze they help keep their gums cool when teething and he'll love playing with them anyway.

His very cute.:)

19. Peter.d.

That's the problem with him he is cute and of a night or morning he will rest his paws on us or sit at our feet wanting to have a snooze on our knees. I will try the towel idea and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice