Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new border collie puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by welshreded, Jun 23, 2009.

1. welshreded

welshreded PetForums Newbie

Hi i need some advice please on a good wormer for my new puppy i have read that some are not to be used on borders? some people say to use drontal others say makes them really sick, so i`m totally confused now. i will be getting her in a few days so any advice would be great, i was goning to leave it to the vet but i know he will charge me a small fortune as he is with her injections, & i also read its best to buy them over the counter at say Pets At Home not in the super market as they are rubish & dont work?
    thanks Dawn

2. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

i got mine from the vets, it was only about £2 each time. My vet told me ones they sell in supermarkets are rubbish xx My gran gave her westie one from the supermarket and she got worms :mad:

3. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I always get my wormer from teh vets as the ones you buy over the counter are no use. I usually use Panacur for mine.

4. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I have never used one from supermarkets. At the vets they weigh them then give the appropriate dose, I believe ihave never paid more than about 3pound for a large dog.;)

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I use drontal for my golden retriever and he's not had worms on them. He doesn't get them at the vets, purely because we can buy them cheaper and in bulk online, our vets tend to rip us off! It was the vets who started him on them and gave them his first lot though. I wouldn't trust anything you can buy over the counter in a supermarket, not ever! They will be a rip off and do nothing, or incredibly cheap, and do nothing! Its something I think you should ask your vet about first for a brand type, they will have a good idea on which brands are best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice