Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Bloodsucking Tick Found in UK

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by XxZoexX, Mar 23, 2011.

1. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Dont know if anyones read this but :eek:

Heres the link
    Blood-sucking tick Dermacentor reticulates found in UK for first time | Metro.co.uk

And for those who cant/dont like to clicky ill do a quick copy and paste job.

Disease alert: New blood-sucking tick found in UK

A blood-thirsty tick normally found in continental Europe has been discovered in Britain, putting animals and humans here at increased risk of disease.

The Dermacentor reticulates tick was discovered in south-east England and west Wales in a study of dog infestations, and scientists have warned that it may have brought new strains of disease with it.

They are blaming climate change for driving the tick to these shores.

Professor Richard Wall, head of the veterinary parasitology group at Bristol University, which carried out the research, said: 'This is an important study because the results suggest that the risk of tick infestation is far higher in dogs than was previously thought. This has serious implications for the incidence of tick-borne disease.

'The study also confirms that a non-native species of tick, which is also a major disease vector in Europe, is now established in southern England.'

The research, published in the journal Medical and Veterinary Entomology, found that 14.9 per cent of dogs were infested with ticks at any one time.

Dog ticks can carry several different diseases, including Lyme disease, which can pass to humans. If this goes untreated it can damage the heart and nervous system.

The breeds of dog most susceptible to infestation are Gun dogs such as retrievers, setters, spaniels, terriers and pastoral varieties used to guard livestock. Ticks are more likely to be found in long-haired dogs than short

Should i be worrying?
    Ive never seen a Tick.. well ive seen pics but never in life.
    Does anyone know what we should be looking for outwards (on the skin) and is there any other symptoms?
    Or am i just a worrywart :lol:

2. Ticks me off!

Bloody foreigners.

Thanks for the heads up though.

3. rona

rona Guest

Anyone got a picture of this?
    I've had some weird looking ticks on Alfie last year, they seem to bury themselves more than the normal tick and are a bugger to get hold of with the tick fork :(

4. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

5. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Thanks for the warning, there are loads of ticks around this area so I will have to check all three dogs after each walk.

Val xx

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Thanks for that, best get the tick picker out. Bruce is the only one who ever gets ticks strange as it is, so will keep a good check on him, well all of them really. I put garlic in the Mals food a couple of times a week to ward off ticks and fleas but Bruce and Britches don't like it - wonder if that's why he gets them. :confused:

We have lots of foreign insects over here now, the huge Harlequin ladybirds who eat our ones, that we're supposed to kill and a new type of vine bee that's just been discovered - hope we don't get killer bee's too! :eek:

7. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

No worries :)
    What am i looking for when checking?
    Is there certain areas they prefer to latch on or just look everywhere for a black spotty type thing :lol:
    Just for future reference now the weathers getting better :)

8. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

If you stroke your dog and feel something hard on their skin, it'll be a tick D:
    I felt one on my grandad's cat once. Nasty things...just felt like something big and hard on her neck, like a scab or something >.<

#8 Argent, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  9. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Ill try not to get to OCD about checking lol

10. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

No problem :)
    I think they quite like armpits and tail areas too (friend's cat had a couple one time)

11. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Often they're on the head but can be anywhere. They're more prevalent in area where there are lots of ferns and sheep but can be anywhere. I only ever found one on Jake from round here. It hadn't attached so was popped and flushed. Yuk. Brig was covered in them one year in the Lake
    District and I had to tweezer them off several times a day. Puke. Hate them with a passion.

12. jadecat

jadecat PetForums Junior

What actual tick borne disease are they concerned about, I live in the south west and we have had Lyme disease here for a long time me thinks I was checked for Lyme disease over 5 years ago and I know of people that have picked this up from our local common quit a few years back!!! Is there something else out there as well?!!!

13. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

The reports dont seem to be saying, They just say diseases not found in the UK
    I will do some research tomorrow and let you know as i am interested too :)

14. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

I had a tick on my face last year ,could I be dying? D:

will be extra careful to check murphy though :)

15. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

Babesiosis - this attacks the red blood cells

Ehrlichiosis is a bacterial attack upon the white blood cells

Anaplasmosis - attacks white blood cells, crippling the immune system.

Hepatozoonosis - Canine Hepatozoon canis infection is found mainly in Africa, southern Europe and the southern USA. It is spread by ingestion of Rhipicephalus ticks. The clinical signs include pyrexia, weight loss, hind-limb and back pain and ocular and nasal discharge. Diagnosis is by identification of the parasite in blood smears. There is no effective treatment.

And of cause Lyme disease

Not all ticks carry disease but some can carry a few diseases at the same time and can transfer them in a single bite.

16. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I have to be vigilant over here, and we're surrounded by sheep. I check after every walk.

My OH had what he thought was a mole coming in his 'nether regions', he didn't tell me because I'd have whipped him off to the doctors.
    After 4 days of it itching him like mad he told me-it was a big fat tick:eek:

I should think the pet passport scheme is one of the reasons these things are more widespread now.
    Scalibor collars are said to be effective, I dont know because its not safe to use them if you've got cats. Has anyone tried 'Billy No Mates?

17. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Why is it more common in gundogs? Surely a tick doesn't pick a host by its breed. :eek:

18. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Thanks for the heads up, will have to check the ferret and dogs extra carefully now.

It doesnt say wether they respond to tick/flea treatments though. :confused:

19. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Prob because working gundogs pick up dead animals ;)

20. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Thanks for that
    Good to know :thumbup:

They have done a study asking vets to check so many dogs and i think the gundog type breeds were affected more from what i can gather

One report says
    Gundogs, terriers and pastoral breed groups were most susceptible to picking up ticks, which often wait in long grass for animals to brush past. Longer-haired dogs were also more susceptible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice