Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Betta set-up

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by magpie, May 31, 2020.

1. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hypothetically speaking... :D... what would be some good, easy-grow plants for a betta tank? To fill in the background and make it a bit more interesting?

Currently it only has what I think is an aponogeton henkelianus and a tiny crinum calamistratum, which were doing badly in the goldfish tank so I moved them, and also a small amazon sword. There's also a little bit of moss glued to the rock, and some floating plants that I bought the other day. The anubias and java fern floating about in there are earmarked for the goldfish tank once I have something to tie them to, so they won't be staying. The lighting is just an ordinary desk lamp, so I hope that will be good enough!

I dug this old 30L out of the attic a few weeks ago, intended as somewhere to grow plants away from the goldies ferocious appetites... but I may or may not have accidentally purchased a betta online this weekend, so this is now going to be his home when he arrives :oops::)

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vallis, Amazon Swords, Crypts.

In a 30ltr, even some of the mid-ground plants might work as background plants.

I see you've succumbed to MTS :D

George Duke-Cohan and magpie like this.
  3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Well, it was just sitting in the attic not doing anything... seemed like a waste :oops:

I love the look of vallis but it's never done very well with me, that could be more to do with me trying to put it in the big tank with the goldfish though! Do you use a fertiliser with your plants? I've put root tabs in and I have an old bottle of Flourish which is hopefully still good as it's hardly been used.

He should be here tomorrow :D

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

The 200ltr has root tabs, the 120ltr is a dirted tank, and the new 53ltr has Tetra Active Substrate, although no plants in there yet. Of the others, I think plants do best in the 120ltr, but I've started thinking that my pH is too low for plants to thrive - especially in the 200 (6.2) o_O

You know the unofficial rule. Pics are mandatory. :D

George Duke-Cohan and magpie like this.
  5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hmm, that's something to think about then, as my water is extremely soft too. I buffer it in the goldie tank to keep the pH stable, but I was going to leave this one, not add anything to it and see where the pH ended up, seeing as bettas are softwater fish anyway. I did wonder if the low mineral content in my water might have something to do with how badly I seem to do with plants. I hope the fertiliser will be enough for them :eek:

Well of course! He's way too handsome not to have his picture taken :D

George Duke-Cohan and LinznMilly like this.
  6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd still leave the water to stand and then check it.

6.5-7.8 is apparently best for most plants (I've just looked it up). I have almond leaves and alder cones in the 200 for the tannins, and to give a more natural effect (someone once described it as jungle - I quite like that). The 120 isn't quite that low - 6.6, last time I checked.

magpie likes this.
  7. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens then!

Edit: Just checked it in the tank this eve and it's 6.4 which is a bit lower than I was expecting as I did a big water change only a couple of days ago which I'd have thought would bump it up. Straight out of the tap it's around 7.2.

#7 magpie, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  8. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

My little boy has arrived, you forget how teeny bettas are when you are used to big, chunky fish!

Pictures are a bit dark as I've left his light off for now, though he seems pretty chilled out and has been exploring everything :)

[​IMG]

He's so pretty :D

9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow! He's gorgeous. [​IMG]

magpie likes this.
  10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Does he have a name yet?

magpie likes this.
  11. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Very handsome

magpie and LinznMilly like this.
  12. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Thank you :)

His name is Figaro :D

He likes being in the tangle of roots under my floating plants very much, and he's already swimming up to the glass to look at me when I get close to look at him :). And he's much easier to take pictures of than the goldfish as he actually stays still and poses sometimes!

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's not been quite 24 hours since I tested my tapwater pH, but the results so far are:

straight out of the tap - 7.2
    after standing for 12 hours - 6.8
    after standing for (nearly) 24 hours - 6.4

The tank seems to be at around 6.8 at the moment, I did think it was lower last night but I might have been looking at it in bad light. Either way that's ok though I think!

ForestWomble and LinznMilly like this.
  13. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Omg i have been gone for like a week and you have got a betta. Gosh damn. How things have changed.

#13 George Duke-Cohan, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    LinznMilly and magpie like this.
  14. George Duke-Cohan

I love the tank and plants. I knew you could grow plants, I think your gardening team just was not a fan of them ;)

magpie likes this.
  15. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I know right!? The tank was already set up and I didn't intend to buy any fish just yet, but then there he was!

Well, don't speak too soon! The floating plants are looking a bit sad already! I've been dosing a little fertiliser but there aren't really any nitrates to speak of in this tank as Figaro is so small and my tapwater has 0 nitrates. I'm wondering if they may actually do better in the goldfish tank? The rooted plants look like they are doing ok so far though :)

LinznMilly and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  16. George Duke-Cohan

Well to be honest as the nitrate increases the plants will absorb it, so you may not see any nitrate spikes for a while. Well until there is more being produced then being absorbed. Floating plants do tend to struggle with clean and healthy water parameters. So over time they will start to be happy. May I ask what fertiliser you are using. :)

magpie likes this.
  17. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Just Flourish as I happened to have a bottle! And some root tabs for the plants in the substrate. Is it likely that one betta will ever produce enough waste to sustain the floating plants? Or should I be dosing with something else? I can see the roots are starting to die off already :eek:

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  18. George Duke-Cohan

When it comes to plants they don’t need much. Light, water and nutrients and they are happy. So a beta will produce enough nutrients and so will any food left behind. So it will be all good. Some plants can be supper picky with there habitat. Like my plants love high nutrients but others die off if they have too much. Some will pull there nutrients from the water column some will take it from the substrate. It is a bit of trail and error. I shall let you know what plants I have in my none active substrate to help ya.

magpie likes this.
  19. George Duke-Cohan

I did not know about this unofficial rule. I better make sure to post pics when I can. :confused:

magpie likes this.
  20. George Duke-Cohan

The colours are amazing. Definitely going to get one when I can get another tank. So far I am going to be aiming for a goldfish tank, a betta tank and a puffer tank (bigger puffer then pea puffer). Shame that things cost so much these days. Probably does not help that I seem to be unable to save money. :Hilarious

magpie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice