Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Beardy!

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by ShannonLouise., Jan 15, 2012.

1. ShannonLouise.

ShannonLouise. PetForums Senior

My brother rescued a 3.5years old bearded dragon. The owner wasnt feeding it and wasnt giving it all the nutritients he needed. I think he looks a little under weight. I dont know if the viv is big enough for him but looks well!

Meet Tommy.

Attached Files:

2. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

I got a new beardy last week too! hes 1 and a half and someone i knew was giving him away, hes healthy as far as it seems, but will not chase the crickets, ive been having to result to hand feeding him! i dont think he knows how to catch them otherwise! Apart from that im enjoying owning him, and my cats love chasing him lol! This viv i think is too small for him cause hes constantly trying to climb out :(

3. Keewi

Keewi PetForums Newbie

Mine is 2 and a bit and looks very similar, not underweight. However, she has been semi-hibernating for a month or so and I expect she'll soon lose her Summer belly!:D She pops out of her den only once or twice a week for a quick bite (3 or 4 giant mealworms) and goes back to sleep.
    She does like coming out of her viv, too, not because it's too small but she really enjoys the company and exploring new territories. It's hilarious how she knocks at the sliding doors expecting to be let out:).
    When I first got her she hated being handled but as, like yours, she didn't seem to catch the crickets, I fed her in a small fish bowl so she soon saw the advantage of being friends with me. I think the grasshopper is the only food she will chase and catch for herself, other than that, I have to feed her.

[​IMG]

#3 Keewi, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. Charlie13

Charlie13 PetForums Junior

A full grown beardie ideally should be in a 4x2x2 viv. Anything smaller will not give them enough room.

I took my girl on as a pregnant rescue and become very underweight after. They soon settle in and will soon start chasing live food, it took us awhile to encourage her to do it.
    Getting them to have a bond with you is good, you dont want a black, puffed up lizard eveytime you try to hold her!

5. sadiajahan

sadiajahan PetForums Junior

I think your bearded bragon is gonna be ok.Just wait for a few days and see if his conditions improves or not.If not then just raise his food menu. Interestingly, part of your dragon's 'nutrition' comes not from its food, but from its lights. Be sure that you have a strong UVB-producing reptile light. If you use a fluorescent, the light should be within 6 inches of the animal (4 inches is preferable), and you should replace the bulb every 6 months.

6. ShannonLouise.

ShannonLouise. PetForums Senior

A little late reply but Tommy is doing good now. We have been told he will never plump out and will always stay at the same weight, which is odd. He has a new viv and he's happy!

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice