Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New baby

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Freyja, May 6, 2017.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

This morning we went to a bird auction and came home with this young man. At the moment he doesn't have a name.

18222322_10212594665003620_7958993961936118792_n.jpg

Zayna, MrsZee, LinznMilly and 7 others like this.
  2. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Beautiful :)

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

He's a beautiful bird but, how I hate to see them trapped inside small cages, never able to fly or express their natural behaviours.

I really wish the keeping of birds in cages would be banned.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We have keeped birds, a budgie and a cockatiel, both were free in the house only shut up at night or when we were out. I hate to see them shut up all the time.

Lurcherlad, kimthecat and FeelTheBern like this.
  5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

He is in a very big cage and once he has been tamed properly and is used to being handled he will be allowed out. He only arrived here at 2.30 this afternoon we need to get him used to being handled and being around the dogs before we can allow him to fly in the house as you could imagine he could give my chihuahuas quite a nasty bite. My dogs are used to being with the birds and although they will go to the cage and look at them they will not chase them. We got him in an auction and he has been in a tiny cage the photo was taken when we first got him home and before he had any toys put in to play with. He loves his swing and bells and raggy toys

MrsZee and kimthecat like this.
  6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

ringnecks are lovely to look at and keep, very intelligent but not great talkers, they can hold a tune tho
    they are very much split personality birds and ours, despite being handreared by me, could, once into his teenage years [5+ in reality] could be cuddling one second and hanging off your hand/nose/mouth the next and youre right a chi would get a really nasty bite off that beak
    when they are cross they do sound rather like manic seagulls
    Mine was called Bebe, french for baby, because he came as a baby, from rescue, to be hand reared, but the biys and my late husband said there was no way they were going to call a bird Baby for the rest of its life, so I compromised
    they do thrive very well as an indoor bird, as like most parrots, they prefer climbing everywhere than flying, keeping them amused and out of mischief is the main thing
    and a great diet of course

We used to take ours up the school on a bird harness to give him some safe outside brain enrichment and the kids loved meeting him

btw I wouldnt be surprised if he is a she, unless the owner sexed it for you

edit to add, I think India would be a great name, and good for boy or girl

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Our Cockatiel Fred, was easy to train and was a loveing bird. he followed us around like a small dog or sit on our shoulder, he would sit on top of the kitchen door when I was peeling carrots waiting for his treat.

ForestWomble and kimthecat like this.
  8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

He isn't a ringneck he is an alexandrian parrot I think he is going to be called Harold as we have a moustache parrot called Albert. We do have ringnecks but they are going to go in a aviary we have 3 indian males and an african hen. The person that does the auction said he was 100% certain he was a male. One of my indians Squeak came to us as a definite hen but we have descovered she was actually a baby he this year he has developed a definite black ring

9. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I had an Alexandrian until last year he lived to be 35years old he wrecked the house but still miss him.x

kimthecat likes this.
  10. mrs phas

well I do beg your pardon :Playful difficult to tell from a picture, I presumed [and of course one shouldnt] it was a young ringneck

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Years ago we had a cockateil who talked and sang we also had a hen that a hand reared that followed me everywere she couldn't fly properly so hop onto the floor and run across the floor to me when I came in from work Her name was Lucky as she was lucky to survive

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

They are the same family a bigger cousin but he is twice the size of my ringnecks and is only a baby he is rung and is a 2016 chick you can see when you are close to him he still has a few downy feathers were his adult pumage hasn't quite finished coming through

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

His smaller cousins 2 of my male ringnecks this was taken last year when we thought Squeak was a hen yes the other one is Bubble

20160822_152805.jpg

14. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

I think you should call him Rover.

kimthecat likes this.
  15. mrs phas

I miss my parrots :(
    and my aviaries :(:(
    dont miss the hard work that goes with two large aviaries and 5 indoor parrots
    you have my admiration

kimthecat likes this.
  16. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Its sad if birds are kept shut in cages all the time and their wings clipped,
    but cages become their home , where they go to eat and sleep and a place of safety etc.

I hate to see rabbits and guinea pigs in hutches at the bottom of the garden and rarely let out or and people keep dogs crated while they are at work for 10 hours or more so it really does depend on the owner of a pet whether they use or abuse cages etc .

MrsZee, suewhite and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

As I have already said my ringnecks are going into an aviary outside when the weather at night is a little warmer and we can get one built and once Harold is tame and handleable and used to my little dogs he will be able to come out of his cage but the fight he put up when they took him out of his small cage and put him into his big cage I don't fancy having to try to catch him he has a very powerful beak not far off the size of an african grey parrot and I for one don't fancy being bitten by him. tonight he has let me stroke him on his chest while he has eaten a little banan from my other hand which isn't bad considering he has been here for less than 12 hours and has come through the stress of a bird auction.

MrsZee, kimthecat and suewhite like this.
  18. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

@freya That's sounds lovely . You've made good progress with Harold .:)

I hope it didn't come over that i thought you never let your birds out .

I have had budgies and a pair of cockatiels indoors and they spent many hours loose too. They loved their cages and would fly in and out as they chose.

MrsZee and Happy Paws2 like this.
  19. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I miss my peeps cockatiel , she was about 25 when she died last year. .

yeah, the poop down the back of the sofa ! :D

20. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I don't like birds clipped, i understand the reasons but a bird is made to fly so i'm against it. My Cockatiel doesn't really like coming out of his cage, he will occasionally but not for long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice