Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Arrival: update and a question?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Aug 20, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

Well we brought Harley home on Saturday. He's absolutely amazing, he's so confident has barely stopped purring since he got here! He'll follow you from room to room like a puppy. If you shut him in a room on his own he wails at the top of his lungs, he sounds like an ambulance :rolleyes:

I left the carrier out for Pepsi find. He went up had a sniff then went inside and fell asleep :eek: :confused1: SO not what I was expecting! I expected him to hiss and spit and growl, and generally throw a tantrum. But he hasn't been phased at all. I swapped blankets, scent swapped with a washcloth, put him in Harley's room (minus Harley of course) and there has been no reaction whatsoever from him. So we decided to put Harley in the carrier and let them see each other.

Harley didn't even notice Pepsi, he was loudly protesting being shut in the carrier and was trying to claw his way out. Pepsi looked a bit uncertain, walked up to the carrier, had a few sniffs then walked out the room in disgust.

Now for our only problem, the dogs.

The first time he seen one of the dogs, he was sitting on my knee and my mum was coming into the room and star stuck her head around the corner to say hello. Harley hissed, turned around, bit me then bolted to the other side of the room looking like a walking fluffball, and he's not really improved since.

On their first proper introduction we put star (our smaller, slightly less scary dog) on a lead and let Harley into the room. He stayed as far away as possible hissing every time the dog twitched a muscle.

Tonight when we introduced them Harley started getting braver inching closer and closer. But then he suddenly started charging right up to the dog stoping inches away and spitting in her face. Then he'd run away and repeat.

Misty and Star are used to cats, but haven't been hissed/spat at/swiped since they were pups. Misty is getting older and grumpier now. I'm worried in case he pushes them too far and he ends up getting a bite, or worse.

What can I do to help them get along better? I know it's only been a few days and I can't expect them to get on overnight, but all our other cats have taken to them/tolerated them right away and I guess I expected him to be the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice