Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New aquarium- cracked glass?

Discussion in 'New Aquarium Advice' started by MQ2020, Jul 12, 2020.

1. MQ2020

MQ2020 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I think my new aquarium is damaged, ie there are two cracks in the corner. The pet shop where I bought this from is telling me it’s silicon, and not cracked glass.

Can anyone advise what I should do? Is there an independent arbitration panel or something?

Photos attached and grateful for any advice!!

Thanks so much

Attached Files:

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I can't really tell from the pictures, I can see two lines in the first picture, one going straight up and one curving to the right, is that what we're talking about? If so, even if it is just silicon, it looks like the manufacturer has made a mess of it, it should be neat and only along the seams.

George Duke-Cohan and MQ2020 like this.
  3. MQ2020

MQ2020 PetForums Newbie

Thanks magpie for your reply; yes, I believe the two lines are cracks. The pet shop told me it’s silicon and it’s very common; and if I use a knife or something it should come away very easily. I’ve tried with a knife but it doesn’t work unfortunately ...

not quite sure what I can/should do if the pet shop and I disagree on this?

4. MQ2020

MQ2020 PetForums Newbie

If it’s silicon then it’s not a problem but I really don’t think that’s the case....

5. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think the only way to go is perhaps to fill it with water and see what happens??

6. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Looks like scratches can you feel it in both sides of the glass?
    Not recommended as if it blows then you will have a huge water issue, which can lead to costly damages it is a huge safety risk.

LinznMilly and magpie like this.
  7. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

If it's silicon then you should be able to feel it that it's raised up when you run your finger over it.

If it's near the bottom then you could probably get away with testing it by filling it a little, as you wouldn't need much water to see if it leaks. If it's close to the top though you definitely don't want to put water in it, because if it really is a crack it could blow the whole tank.

I agree with George that it looks more like scratches though, which is still unacceptable for a brand new tank. I'd have thought you would have the right to return it if it's damaged? How long ago did you buy it?

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  8. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I was thinking maybe outside, for example, obv not somewhere that would be liable to damage.

9. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Yeah probably best to do it outside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice