Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New approach to Dog Poop

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alex Deller, Aug 5, 2019.

?

Do you like the look of this product?

This poll will close on Mar 5, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
  1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. Alex Deller

Alex Deller PetForums Newbie

A new product is set to launch on September 2019. Local Berkshire startup looking to make a difference when it comes to the daily task of cleaning up after your dog. Designed, patented and distributed in the UK, this biodegradable/eco-friendly alternative will make your life easier when it comes to dog walking.

As a dog owner for many years, I know first hand the limitations the current dog bags bring, especially for larger breeds.

I created the company based of two simple rules - 1) To make picking up poop an easier tasks as the current dog bags are unstable, sometimes rip and are not suited for larger breeds and more importantly 2) To provide a bio-degradable product that is made and produced in the UK. One of the other reasons this idea came to my mind is that I have two little girls, Olivia who is 6 this month and Matilda who is 2 and I had major concerns due to the dog waste that was being left within the grass due to the inability to cleanly pick up after a dog. This to me is a huge issue and especially within the summer months when kids play freely on the fields.

Message me for details.

Front View (glove).jpg Front View (glove).jpg Packaging.jpg Packaging.jpg

2. Alex Deller

You can find messeaze on facebook - Website will launch soon

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :)
    Can you tell us how this is any different than using a biodegradable bag, sticking your hand in it, picking the poop up, flip the bag inside out over your hand and done?
    It seems to me the fingers on your product would make the flip inside out harder?

4. Alex Deller

The finger shape is used to simplify grabbing and the palm part as shown above is the bag. You can use the simple ties to easily pull them over the top to flip inside out and then tie before disposing.

The problem I have found with a bag is that you are always limited to the shape and it does not allow for natural movement. Plus as some owners have their dogs on a lead, this approach means they can be confident the bag will not fall off their hands when picking up poop.

Alex

DaisyBluebell, margy and tabelmabel like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I would also like to know how biodegradable they actually are. Biodegradable bags usually break down into microplastics which are arguably worse for the environment. Are these compostable?

LinznMilly, lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I do like the look of these and know exactly what you mean about picking poop up from long grass - i can see how these would make things much easier.

It would come down to price for me - our council provides bags free. I do occasionally pay if i havent popped in for free ones and the free ones are very thin so sometimes it is good to have a thicker bag. I might road test these for you:)

DaisyBluebell and Alex Deller like this.
  7. Alex Deller

Hi, No, these are not compostable, however, we are looking into this as an additional product once we launch the online store.

tabelmabel and lullabydream like this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I use nappy bags. Never had one fall off my hand and would not faff around putting a glove on I am afraid.

NFC slave and lullabydream like this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

See I use a gloved hand in the garden sometimes...it's fine to pick the poo per se with small dogs, but I just feel it's no different that you are cramming poo into a small area like a poo bag for my lurcher. I don't even think she does massive poo.

Haven't done it for years, but used to dye my own hair and I have quite small hands so over sized bags felt weird, clumpy and useless...so I don't know if these would too. Which is the same issue you are trying to avoid with poo bags!

LinznMilly and Alex Deller like this.
  10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

That would be a deal breaker for me. I also use nappy bags as biodegradable poo bags are not truly degraded.

11. Alex Deller

I'm glad you found a bag that works for you :) These will be like marmite, you're going to either love them or hate them and will not ideal for everyone.

12. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Am a bag opener type of girl before I go on a walk, so how easy it would to keep a glove open, am not sure! Like you say the faff, plus I wear gloves in winter too!

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  13. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

Sorry, i don't understand, you seem to be contradicting yourself. Is there a difference between biodegradable and compostable?

14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

There is. Normal biodegradable bags that you put in a dog bin go to landfill, where there is no oxygen to allow them to break down (and that's why some of us just buy the far cheaper nappy bags). Those that do go into an oxygenated environment only break down into microplastics which are arguably worse for the environment. But compostable bags are not the same as plastic and do break down completely.

LinznMilly, lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  15. Alex Deller

These will be no different to opening a normal
    Apologies. There is a difference.

Biodegradable refers to the ability of materials to break down and return to nature. The ability to biodegrade within landfills helps to reduce the buildup of waste, contributing to a safer, cleaner and healthier environment.

Compostable materials are similar to biodegradable materials, as they are both intended to return to the earth safely. However, compostable materials go one step further by providing the earth with nutrients once the material has completely broken down. These materials are added to compost piles, which are designated sites with specific conditions dependent on wind, sunlight, drainage and other factors. While biodegradable materials are designed to break down within landfills, compostable materials require special composting conditions.

Chatcat and Picklelily like this.
  16. Alex Deller

Hi Joanne,

Out of curiosity, where would you place a compost bag if you had the chance? do you have local compost sites that allow bags or would you place these within your normal bin?

17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Compost bin.

18. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I honestly think I would find the idea of picking up dog poo with a glove worse than with the pouch of a bag. Just texturally of it being able to be between my individual fingers Vs more of a mitten. And I'm not squeamish. I've never had a poo bag fall off.

I think you probably would get some custom from Joe Public, but whether or not you'd get the vital *repeat* custom...

19. margy

margy PetForums VIP

I've struggled on a windy day with the thinner bags blowing back over my hand ,while holding Belles flexi lead with the other so a glove might be better, but like @tablemabel my council provides free bags that are large and thick

LinznMilly and lullabydream like this.
  20. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not squeamish usually about picking up dog poop, but I'm not sure how I would feel to be wearing wear a glove-type bag as I picked it up, so this isn't something I'd be likely to buy.

Best of luck with it, though. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice