Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new and older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Glynis, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Glynis

Glynis PetForums Newbie

Hi there
    I came on the forum a month ago asking about having a new puppy with an older dog and got some brilliant answers
    Now we have had the new puppy three days she is very lively like a puppy should be, but my older dog Jack Russell who is 12yrs old has become very sulky
    she goes and sits in the corner
    I still give her lots of attention and love take her for walks etc but I was wondering what else I can do to help them get on together ?
    grateful for any help

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Give it time. Your older bitch is probably stiff at 12 yrs old and doesn't want the puppy jumping about around her. She may also be fearful, as many of them are when a new pup is introduced into the house.

3. Glynis

Glynis PetForums Newbie

Thanks
    after I wrote this posting I have noticed today they seem a bit better together
    Rosie the older dog is letting ruby the pup lie with her.
    they have been running round the field together
    I suppose it is early days yet

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I wouldnt worry too much, I have seen it before with a old or older dog and a new pup. They often totally ignore the pup to make a point that any wild behaviour isnt going to be entertained, then as the pup gets the message and approaches and behaves calmly then you should see a difference.
    Its a very clever non confrontational way of making a point and giving the new pup boundaries from the very start. Ive seen the opposite too where a younger more inexperienced dog entertains a pup first off, then the pup then is constant and makes the other dogs life a misery because they wont quit, because the other existing dog didnt make a point and teach the lesson early enough.

Sounds like you have a wise old dog there, he can teach you a thing or too as well, ignore the pup when he does behaviour you dont want, and reward with attention for behaviour you do want.

RobD-BCactive likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice